Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 307 SSR Hydraulic fluid type

lhowie ยท 2023-08-24 17:20

Hello everyone, I'm looking to find out what hydraulic fluid I should use on my 1997 Caterpillar 307 SSR. This machine was built in and for the Japanese market, also known as the gray market from what I understand. Anyway the cat dealer just says to use a 10w fluid but I'm not sure if that's correct. They can't find the model with my serial number so I'm not sure. I know the newer machines use that. I just know that fluids have changed alot and I don't want to put the wrong type or weight in it. I am having all the cylinders rebuilt and don't want to mess them up with the wrong oil. Thanks in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2023-08-24 17:38

    It's 100% correct. Almost all Cat machines, and certainly all the excavators, require an SAE10W hydraulic oil. I assume your machine is a 2FL-prefix. Unfortunately it has no direct equivalent in machines built for the World market, but a significant part of the technical information for the 2WM-prefix 307 (which is in the online system) will also work for the 2FL-prefix. Because there is nothing in the online system for your machine I would recommend that you get hold of a Parts Manual. At least that way you can go to the dealer, or buy aftermarket, knowing what P/N you need. You can download an Adobe pdf copy for US$124 from Cat Publications HERE . Simply type XJBP7178 in the box and click the Search button. This is what should pop up. Yes I know that it is in Japanese but the illustrations are common to all and the Part Numbers are in "English" format. Only the part names are in Japanese. TBH these days Google Translate will actually produce English text from a photo. An Operation & Maintenance Manual XJBU2094 is also available, but be warned in advance you'll need an app to translate Japanese to English.

  2. #2lhowie2023-08-24 17:44

    Thank you very much for your quick reply. I will check that information out. Thanks again!