Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 307b tracking problems

jdorkings · 2014-01-07 10:22

HI All, I have just bought a cat 307b /2001 but one of the track motors is not working. I can hear it turning back and forward but the track is not moving. I am guessing that there is a shaft between the track motor and the sprocket however I don't have a parts book or workshop manual and have not done one before. any ideas how to get the cover off as I can only see three allan bolts which I think are oil level plugs and what the problem might be. many thanks jason

Replies9
  1. #1ANDREW C2014-01-08 19:35

    Serial number or prefix?

  2. #2ANDREW C2014-01-08 21:28

    It should have a snap ring holding in the cover but a serial number will get you better instructions

  3. #3jdorkings2014-01-09 05:12

    hi Andrew its cat0307bcafb01235 it stoped working very suddenly and I can still here the motor turning so I hope its not to expensive I have only just got it two weeks ago thanks jason

  4. #4ANDREW C2014-01-09 23:21

    Hey, so there is a snap ring around the outside, you need a really small screwdriver to get it out, then the cover itself needs a bit of care coming apart. You need to use a slide hammer with an adapter in the drain plugs to pop the cover up or what I have done in the past is remove a plug and add a little air (there is another seal in the back you have to be careful not to pop with too much air) get it to start to move then used a small screw driver around the oring grove. Hopefully pulling the cover will let you see if anything is turning at all. If you need to go further in let me know. I can try and send you part of my manual but I need to know if it is a two speed or single speed drive.

  5. #5Nige2014-01-12 10:33

    Jason, PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you the parts print for the final drive/motor plus the manual for disasembly/assembly.

  6. #6jdorkings2014-01-13 06:03

    HI All, I have got the cap off and found that the hydraulic motor shaft is a bit warn and the splined bush that connects the shaft to the sun gear has had the splines striped off on the motor side. I have been told that it is not easy to remove the motor with out splitting the track and taking the whole final drive out ? Is it possible to remove the motor or will it fall apart as I take it out. I was also thinking of a quick fix to just replace the splined bush and get a few more hours out of it as the bush is only £50/60. To get the shaft fixed I have been quoted over £1500 to rebuild without the cost of stripping and rebuilding!!! thanks again jason

  7. #7Nige2014-01-13 09:49

    There is enough information in what I just sent to you to do what you need. IMHO you may well be able to tear down as far as you need to go without splitting the track. I'm not sure what the "bush" is that you are referring to, do you mean the 7I-2325 Coupling (see 7I-2312 Final Drive Gp)..? That would make sense because the price I see is $113 (UKP 68.50). However there are 2 shafts, 7I-2326 priced at $165 (UKP 100) and 7I-2316 at $106 (UKP 65). I don't see where you get your 1500 quid from .........

  8. #8jdorkings2014-01-13 11:44

    thanks nige, it is the coupling that is warn and the shaft in to the hydraulic motor, what I need to know is if it is possible to undo the bolts on the hydraulic motor and extract it from the back of the final drive will it come out in one piece and allow me to change the shaft in the motor? also do you have any contacts in the uk for Patten parts or cheaper cat parts as I have been quoted £140 plus vat from finnings in ashford and that's just for the coupling !!!

  9. #9Nige2014-01-13 12:19

    I've never had to do one myself so I can't say whether or not it's possible. I would doubt that pattern parts are available for something like that but someone else may have other ideas.