Technology vacation or a real vacation? I miss his pearls of wisdom re: heavy iron. :notworthy
I believe he is on a real vacation.
South America but not Venezuela, with the inlaws.
Yellow ribbon
A vacation with the in laws? I can't think of a better reason to need to be spending time on HEF... ointhead
I just forwarded a copy of this post to your MIL.... carry on!
I need to make something clear .......... it was a vacation so that the wife could spend time with her family. I spent a large part of the time between the beach and looking for an apartment to buy - while most of you guys were shivering in 30 below temperatures ........ it was 5PM when that photo was taken Just to prove I actually went on a plane - taken in Panama airport just before boarding.
Nige, Anybody can take (or find) pictures like this. What we need to see is a picture of you in your beachwear with a couple of lovelies on each arm. Now THAT would prove your story.
And let the wife see them .......... I don't think so ............
Sooo, you're saying the wife and the MIL wouldn't qualify? Better not let them see that post either... :cool2
They are what I was referring to, I can't believe Nige would have had others in mind.
Lol, no thanks,..... I'll just take his word that he was there Pj
Any thoughts on this, other than "it's broke"....?
here's the JB Weld let me know if you need any more . we gotta have it on the job 1st thing in morning:thumbsup
3500 series? Hydro-static lock from water down stack?
Yeah, the little man inside with a hammer finally got out lol Pj
Yair . . . I think I have mentioned before that it frustrates hell out of me on modern machinery that I can't wind the bloody things over with no fuel. If that failure is due to hydraulicing on start up it was an easily preventable disaster. Fluid on top of a piston can get there from rain down stack (as mentioned by kshansen ) a cracked head, a pin hole in liner, a stuck injector or the one that I have struck a couple of times . . . certain English engines had a cold start solenoid that admitted fuel to a vaporiser in the the inlet manifold. If that solenoid failed it can fill the manifold with diesel and lock an engine which is okay if it locks it but on an easy starter like a Perkins or a Standard it can put a rod out through side. Cheers.
Hope you had a great vacation Nige Looks like the rod journal got pretty warm in the picture. Spun bearing? :beatsme
On second thought the rod and crank do look like they were hot. Don't tell me someone forgot to put oil back in after draining for oil change? Is that the only pair of rods that had a problem? Does not look real new an engine so I tend to rule out an assembly problem.
3516B acksherley. Good thought but in my experience if they hydraulic with water down the exhaust while stopped they tend to blow the injector out of the affected hole.
Give that man a gold star. Actually what happened was that the oil cooler developed a leak and let coolant (glycol) into the engine oil. Of course in short order that took the LTO off the crankshaft bearings. #9 & 10 (those in the picture) were simply the first to fail. We haven't pulled it apart yet - hardly worth it in view of the damage IMO - but I suspect all the crankshaft bearings will have signs of stress on them. In typical fashion the oil analysis results indicating positive glycol arrived the day after the engine failed ............... bugger.
Guess I was thinking like a Detroit mechanic, seen a few do that. But then the burn marks on the rod would contraindicate that failure.
Was that a really well played thread hijack?
Best one I have seen in a while!:thumbsup
You credit me with far too much intelligence. Too lazy to start a new thread........ Another forum I post on threads are normally off-topic by the time you're about 4 posts in...
See what happens Nige........ You take a well deserved vacation and all heck breaks loose back at the shop Keep up the good work mate:thumbsup
Problem is that it was my department who failed to call it (there was a very subtle sign on the previous sample analysis - lead went from 0-1 to 2 but unless you were really experienced in 3500 engine oil analysis interpretation it probably wouldn't have registered) so despite the fact I was on vacation when it happened I have to hold my hand up and take the hit. There goes my bonus I guess.......
I'm a little surprised that there was no indication of a coolant leak like white slime from condensation on the filler cap and dipstick. Unless this thing is running so warm down there to keep the moisture evaporated.
Back to the beaches. I'm on my way to Cancun at the end of January to help recover from back surgery. Two disk removed and some screws and plates put in to help hold things together. I've ben out of my service truck 3 weeks and getting board. I figger the warm beaches Mexico are better than than the winter w'ere having in Michigan! If you see a guy with a ugly back brace sitting in the shade say hi. wes
I hope they used a good grade of stainless steel in those repairs, would hate to have you getting rusted up from the salt water. Then again probably less salt in the ocen in Cancun than the roads in Mich.! Take time to heal the kobelcos can wait for you.