Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 307C How to change patter by swapping pilot lines?

Manfred ยท 2020-04-13 10:47

First time post... long time guest. I've purchased a 2003 Cat 307C Midi S/N BCM00734 to do some drainage work on my farm. It is set to CAT/SAE, however I've spent over 35 years running my Case 580C with JD/ISO sticks, so I need to change the control pattern. I've read many other threads, and yes I tried to adapt, but I'm not near as smooth and still have occasional epileptic fit on the sticks! All the pilot lines under cab appear to have lots of slack (several have a loop in them tie wrapped up). The machine does not have the optional pattern changer valve installed and is too old for the computer keypad switch... I called the dealer and they told me I needed to buy the pattern changer valve and install material $2k plus (not going to happen). I'd really like a sketch/ diagram to swap the correct pilot lines or at least some direction. Any help is appreciated!!

Replies9
  1. #1Tyler d4c2020-04-13 10:58

    On a 312b you switch L1 L2 with r1 r2 if memory serves me if you have a pre fix I can figure it out

  2. #2Tyler d4c2020-04-13 10:59

    Silly me your serial is there I'll figure it up later unless some else does first.

  3. #3Manfred2020-04-13 13:51

    I tried swapping L1 for R1 and L2 for R2 and got the odd movement I showed in the image. The pilot lines look like they are correct from factory because there is still white witness paint marking position from install. I should have only switched one pair at a time to see what was what... hindsight. It only took a few minutes, so figured worth a try.

  4. #4Nige2020-04-13 15:37

    FYI, some if not all of those piliot hoses are not original from the factory. They have "Moore" all over them, not Cat. Also the loops you mentioned would not be there in factory hoses. The coloured ty-wraps are also not factory, it appears as though someone wanted to make sure it was re-plumbed correctly when the hoses were replaced. I sent you the hydraulic schematic. Maybe that will help.

  5. #5Manfred2020-04-13 20:34

    Nige... This is one of CAT's "Grey Market " machines. Not one of the hoses on the entire machine say CAT on them. Everyone of them says made in Japan, which follows suit with the manufacture tag that also states the machine was Made in Japan (I think some of the newer models were actually made in China from what I've seen). The colour coded tags are consistent with all the other lines on the machine as well, including the valves and manifold under the cab, the main hydraulic valve body, the filter lines in the engine compartment etc. I appreciate the hydraulic schematic you provided and printed it for the manual I'm assembling. Thanks!

  6. #6Manfred2020-04-13 20:53

    Just a follow-up note to close the loop.. The first combination of lines switched didn't work, but provided some insight. After a couple more swaps, I was able to map out the lines based on what didn't change position when interchanged. It would have been easier with another set of eyes to just crack a line at a time, but I made due by myself. Based on the earlier image of the pilot lines I found that switching L3 and R1 as well as R3 and L1 converted the machine from SAE/ CAT Control Pattern to ISO/ John Deere Control Pattern. Now that boom is on the left stick and dipper on the right, I'm right at home. I was able to clean out a few hundred feet of ditch line working around trees and graded as well before dinner. The machine has a Helac PowerTilt on the foot pedal that will take a bit more getting used to. I've run one with the switch on the right joystick, which seemed more intuitive. My next Project is going to be adding a cylinder to the Manual thumb. I had to move some fallen trees and branches out of the ditch and it was a pain folding in and out the thumb and pinning it each time.

  7. #7Nige2020-04-13 22:27

    307C BCM-prefix machines are all made in Japan. Not grey market, they are/were intended to be sold all over the world. If they were only designed for the inside Japan (ISJ) market rather than for export as well there would be no online information avavilable for them in the Cat Service system.

  8. #8Manfred2020-04-13 22:56

    Thanks for the info... I'm learning more about this machine as I go. So far, I'm quite please with it's performance/condition and it's fairly easy to work on too. I'm disappointed with the dealer giving me the brush off and telling me it couldn't be done without buying a pattern valve and components to install it... the technician made it seam like a huge task and told me parts alone would be $1,500 to $2,000. He's supposed to get back to me tomorrow with a quote (lol). He called it a 'Grey Market' machine and said they usually don't work on them, with a bit of a condescending tone. If they would have been forthcoming with the information, the whole job should only take 1/2 hour including dropping the access panel cleaning the connections and reassembly. I ordered all new CAT filters from them for the machine, but I guess that wasn't enough profit margin. Next time I'll get the filters from Amazon and save some money with delivery right to my house. I'll be investing in the service manual too!

  9. #9Nige2020-04-13 23:02

    Be careful with internet-bought filters. Good quality oil & filters (changed at the right intervals) are the best insurance policy you can ever buy for a machine. They don't necessarily have to be Cat products, but on the other side of the coin they should not Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries Specials either.....