Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TB 135 Tracks Jumping Off

Heavy Chevy ยท 2020-04-13 11:40

I have a 2004 TB135 that I bought as junk last year and resurrected from the dead. I have been working the crap outta it; however, last week I threw both tracks off within an hour of each other. I think it is time from new sprockets. See attached pics. Once I pulled the tracks off to replace what I think are worn out sprockets, what can I do to check the other components for excessive wear (i.e., idler, rollers) or it is just a good idea to replace all? Again, this is my first time dealing with tracks so I'm a novice at this. Also, is it a good idea to use new bolts vice reusing the original ones?

Replies25
  1. #1tool_king2020-04-13 12:14

    Make sure the idler is not moving around in the frame causing a miss tracking condition . And you have the right tension .

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2020-04-13 12:48

    Thx Tool_King, Is this something I can check without a special tool? What I mean is, can I just try to shake it with my hands or more tension is required? Does it appear that sprockets are a definite replace?

  3. #3uffex2020-04-13 13:43

    Good day HC It is good practice to replace drive sprockets with the chains as a worn component will have a negative effect on the new parts, normally the rollers & Idlers will live for two chain and idler replacements. The Burco dealer should be able to help with wear limits if you are in trouble come back we will try to get those for you. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #492U 34062020-04-13 15:29

    Without having specs or measurements I can only offer a guess. Sprockets don't look horrible. Idlers look pretty worn to me though and that chamfer on it doesn't look normal. Again that could be just how they are.

  5. #5Tags2020-04-13 16:27

    How many hours on the unit? Nothing looks awful to me, the sprockets a bit pointy. Could have just been bad luck and improper tension. I rolled a track off my Tak260 a few weeks ago spreading asphalt millings, a chunk of asphalt got in the tracks just right and they were a little loose, didn't take much to pop it off. Were you working in mud with softball sized rocks mixed in, or larger rocks that were sticking up from the ground but not loose? If you go to turn and the track catches a rock that's plated firmly in the ground it won't take a whole lot to roll it off....

  6. #6tool_king2020-04-13 17:30

    What is your email address ? I can send you the manuals with specs with the proper way to check them .

  7. #7tool_king2020-04-13 17:39

    That machine has rubber tracks .

  8. #8Heavy Chevy2020-04-13 18:44

    Ok, great...thx [email protected]

  9. #9Heavy Chevy2020-04-13 18:52

    4087 hours...I was in a grassy field cutting brush. I can hear a popping sound occasionally while rolling along like the track slips a notch. As far as the tension, I pumped grease till the track was tight.

  10. #10Heavy Chevy2020-04-13 18:53

    I have rubber tracks so does the same apply?

  11. #11skata2020-04-13 22:50

    How tight? If you pick up one end of the machine and get the tracks off the ground, you should see max 1 inch of droop in the track.

  12. #12uffex2020-04-14 01:37

    Good day HC I am sure the same principle applies worn mating with new the pitch of tracks and sprockets will differ. Kind regards Uffex

  13. #13Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 08:42

    I'll check against the specs soon......I used battery powered grease gun and put grease till it wouldn't pump anymore in. Tracks were tight.

  14. #14Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 08:43

    Gotcha, thx

  15. #15Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 08:44

    Another question......both tracks came off on the sprocket end....is that the normal end when they come off or is it mostly the idler end?

  16. #16Fourtencustoms2020-04-14 10:35

    did you drive out of the tracks? meaning sidehilling will have any tracked machine drive right off the track pumping grease in the tensioners is good, but does it hold tension? i also have a takeuchi tb35 that i resurrected from near dead. last year i replaced all the rollers and idlers in the undercarriage. i was able to do this by myself! also i was able to get all new rollers and idlers for under $800 delivered! i was very happy......... i also removed and cleaned the zerk fittings for the track tensioners, now it holds tension it has been like a new machine ever since!! i was also able to clean out the crud from inside the track drives and get them filled with all new fluid and to the proper level.....for a few weeks there they were running dry!!! these are tough machines

  17. #17Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 11:21

    That's a good looking machine! I drove out of one track and the other I caught it just before sliding off the gear drive area but was completely off the sprocket. Where did you find such a great deal on parts? please share as I just priced mine out...cost over $5,400.00 for those parts....Geez!

  18. #18Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 12:39

    Anyone out there got any experience using Prowler Parts....just priced Rollers, Sprockets, Idlers using Prowler aftermarket parts for 45% less than dealer parts....so $2388 vice $5322. I haven't started tearing apart the undercarriage; however, thinking about just replacing all the parts at one time....the tracks are relatively new still.

  19. #19Tones2020-04-14 12:45

    After the next time it comes off pull the idler out and check the bolt that goes through the spring and the spring as well. Any one of those failing cause the track tension to go soggy and flop off.

  20. #20Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 13:48

    Ok, thx

  21. #21Fourtencustoms2020-04-14 13:51

    HeavyEquipmentForums That is my Tak thread on here I looked through my email I ordered new track rollers and top idler wheels from tractorzone.com $870 delivered for the rollers 04313-00500: TB025 / TB035 Roller Assy (TZ4) and apparently I ordered the idler wheels from somebody else...

  22. #22skata2020-04-14 14:15

    Have you checked ebay? There are cheap parts on there.

  23. #23Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 14:31
  24. #24Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 14:32

    Yes, that is where I got Prowler from.....just wanted to see if anyone had experience with their parts or recommended another vendor as one suggested. Checking prices now.

  25. #25Heavy Chevy2020-04-14 16:16

    Thanks for the info for Tractorzone. I just ordered entire undercarriage parts to rebuild just like you did!