Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 308 stops after 30 mins

crashnberg ยท 2024-06-12 07:10

Hi there, I am borrowing a 2013 cat 308 cr e2. It starts and run perfectly but after about 30 mins it splutters and stops, no fuel tank vacuum probs, fuel supply good to the high pressure pump. No fault lights or codes appear. It will restart easily but splutter and stop again. If I leave it for some time it will work again but not for very long.

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2024-06-12 08:30

    Fuel separator inlet and housing port/ path restricted. Fully disassemble the fuel/ water separator. Mark and disconnect both lines. Remove filter. Unscrew top and lift off, taking note of perimeter O-ring. Remove inlet fitting. Clean path from inlet port to filter stem (the outer bore of the filter stem). Reassemble, reinstall, then prime fuel system (key on for 2 minutes). I know there are threads I've participated in that have pictures. Many are in the skid steer or compact track loader section, as they share the same system/ issue.

  2. #2crashnberg2024-06-12 10:20

    Hiya, thanks for the response, I'm getting good flow and pressure at the fuel line where it enters the high pressure fuel pump. I dont get any alarms, just stops, I guess if the rail pressure was low I would get an alarm as there is a sensor at the end of it? The monitor screen doesn't have a diagnostic facility without the cat ec hard/soft ware. I'm thinking it could be a sensor malfunctioning as it gets hot. Would a speed sensor give an alarm if it had a problem?

  3. #3heymccall2024-06-12 10:36

    I've fought those same symptoms on mini excavators, skid steers, and compact track loaders, many, many times. Since there is, most likely, no engine shutdown protection, and, it will not restart until it sits a little while, I'm still of the mindset that the inlet supply is questionable. Quick and dirty, pinch off the inlet, and remove the housing top lid (screws off). What condition is the cavity under that cap? Is it debris free?

  4. #4crashnberg2024-07-07 05:29

    I've narrowed it down to the ECU when it warms up, any ideas on repair to this item? 1J770 - 59051 Kubota 112500 12v Denso

  5. #5Schroeder 682026-09-02 18:18

    Did you figure this out I am having the same issue