Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 308bsr hydraulics locked out electrically I think

Leem2 · 2016-07-09 05:30

Hi Guy's, I'm trying to trouble shoot at the moment, however background to the issue: I was using the equipment and had to jump out to move something, with the engine running. On jumping back in and putting the hydraulic's back on, the hydraulics wouldn't work. I've played with the solenoid switch under the arm rest and it would appear that it is working correctly. It passes a signal to another switch under the seat that clicks when I depress the armrest solenoid. Any trouble shooting ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks, Morgs

Replies53
  1. #1DEMLONE702016-07-09 13:53

    Any serial number ?

  2. #2Mark2502016-07-09 18:19

    As above serial number mark

  3. #3Leem22016-07-09 19:09

    Hi Guy's, Thanks for your reply's the serial no is 3YS02198 Model 308B Morgs

  4. #4Mark2502016-07-10 19:37

    hi , this machine is jap import and as such no info on SIS. not even a cross over reference I have worked on a few over the years and some things are common with the 307B ie final drives I have one in the yard and will have a quick look later today. But from memory there is a pilot cut off solenoid under the floor. Mark

  5. #5Leem22016-07-11 08:56

    Thanks Mark, I played with the cut out switch under the arm rest which sits just above the floor and it would appear that it is working correctly. I can get access to a Jap manual/ schematics. We think its got to be an electrics issue, as it was working one minute and not the next, with the only thing I did was jump out of it for a minute. I need to run back in the schematics and see what other switches/relays there are and also see if anybody on hear has had something like this before.

  6. #6Mark2502016-07-11 15:31

    Hi Leem2 would it be possible to get a copy of the manual and schematic's Thanks Mark

  7. #7Tones2016-07-11 17:08

    If you need to get it going in a hurry, disconnect the wires from the cutout switches and join the 2 wires at each plug. That will determan if the switches are failing also.

  8. #8Cmark2016-07-11 17:43

    Take a look at the wiring where it leaves the LH console. It runs through a conduit that flexes as the console moves up and down. On probably more than half the machines I've worked on with this complaint, the fault was an intermittent open circuit in the wiring in this area. Even if the individual wires look OK on the outside, you can get broken conductors inside. Give them a good old wiggle.

  9. #9Leem22016-07-11 17:54

    Will do Mark, give me a few days

  10. #10Leem22016-07-11 18:06

    Hi Tones, I did connect the two cutout sw together and it wouldn't start, ie starter motor wouldn't crank, so think it maybe a little smart. So disconnected them started it connected them and nothing happened, ie no hydraulics. I was told that the system maybe again a little smart to allow this or there is something electrical further down the line that's broken. I'm guessing in response to your suggestion Cmark, if the machine wouldn't allow me to start it, with the two cutout wires joined together that these wires could then be OK, however I'll give the wires a good wiggle. With the ignition on, when I press down on the cutout switch, I hear a clicking noise from a relay under the seat, so again that would indicate that at least the wiring from the switch to the relay is OK. Where does the wiring from the relay go to, that's probably where the fault lies.

  11. #11Cmark2016-07-11 18:40

    Can you see a part number on any component that should be fairly unique to that model? A casting or a panel for example. We may be able to back track from the part number to a machine similar to yours to get the electrical info.

  12. #12Parker562016-07-13 02:54

    I found a toggle switch on the rear of the LH control panel and switch it to the opposite position the hydraulics stop working. I down known if some one installed at a later date or what

  13. #13Nige2016-07-13 05:35

    Can you post a photo of the switch that shows exactly where it's located..? From the photo we ought to be able to tell if it's original or an add-on.

  14. #14Parker562016-07-14 19:54

    3ys02028

  15. #15Leem22016-07-15 02:35

    Hi Guy's, Thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions. The culprit the hydraulic solenoid valve 112-1491 (safety) that sits under the steel plate under your feet area. The interesting thing about the valve is that you can manually open it with a screw driver, if you need to by pass the safety feature or broken valve. Cost $395 in Oz, $172 shipped from China (genuine) or $105 shipped from China (non genuine). Genuine or non genuine?

  16. #16Nige2016-07-15 02:37

    I think for the extra peace of mind I'd go with genuine, although something in the back of my mind says it will be the same part whether you pay $172 or $105 ........ YMMV.

  17. #17Parker562016-07-15 03:03

    what's the web site you ordered it from

  18. #18Leem22016-07-15 03:29

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rotary-...tor-320B-E320C-Red-dot-/151120606536#shpCntId

  19. #19Leem22016-07-15 03:31

    and this one for the genuine http://www.liquediesel.com

  20. #20Parker562016-07-17 19:33

    Leem2: I'm having a little problem with my ignition switch for my cat308b. would possibly have the wiring diagram for the switch. I went to justanswer.com and all the guy could fine was for a 307. I don't won't to burn anything up. since parts are hard to get here in the Philippines. Plus could you possibly tell me where the fuse panel. I've taking everything apart looking for it. thanks in advance

  21. #21Leem22016-07-17 20:04

    Hi, I don't think you will be able to find a wiring diagram, just a parts manual. The fuses are under the seat, just slide it forward and look behind. I could find a part number for your switch if you like.

  22. #22Parker562016-07-17 20:49

    parker56 Leem2: thanks for the info. I just found the repair manual and parts manual on the web PDF for 50 bucks. But the problems is now is there credit card page won't take an international address. So I have to wait until they fix it.

  23. #23lantraxco2016-07-17 23:50

    Try all 9's in the zip code field, works sometimes. There's tons of fraudulent web sites out there that make you pay up front and then you don't get what you paid for, beware.

  24. #24Parker562016-07-18 01:16

    let me trouble shoot little more first thanks

  25. #25zhuxaioha2016-07-21 02:34
  26. #26Parker562016-07-28 18:54

    Well I fixed the problem with the ignition switch on my 308B. it turns out I had it wired correctly and with the help of a local auto electrician we found out that the hot wire to the ignition relay had rotted off. so we replaced the connecters and replaced the relay. Now my problem is how to remove the radiator for an overhaul (over heating). I think it's going be a monster job. I don't know yet how I'm going to remove the bottom connection to the intake hose? any ideals ?

  27. #27mountainview2017-09-08 12:12

    Hello all, I have a 308Bsr Excavator and I am getting a E-22 error on the digital display. Can anyone tell me what this error is? The machine's stick/boom will not function. Bucket Curls, machine swivels and moves but has no stick/boom movement. I understand this is a grey machine from Japan and if anyone knows where I can purchase a maintenance/repair manual in English would be great. Thank you for any help on this.

  28. #28DEMLONE702017-09-08 12:16

    Serial number ?

  29. #29mountainview2017-09-08 12:20

    3YS03606

  30. #30DEMLONE702017-09-08 12:32

    Can u take a pic with the fault code ?

  31. #31mountainview2017-09-08 12:35

    I will post it later today after I get back to the shop.

  32. #32sunore2017-09-08 23:11

    you also can look this shop https://www.sunoreparts.com

  33. #33babyface2017-09-09 05:15

    Do you know the part No.?

  34. #34mountainview2017-09-15 13:33

    Here is a pic of the console with error message. Any help on this error message would be greatly appreciated. When you first start the machine I have green lights on the console and then the error message comes on and all the lights go out on the console except for the E-22. It appears to lock out.

  35. #35mountainview2017-09-20 10:36

    It turns out this Fault Code is a open circuit on the Potentiometer located at the knuckle of the boom/stick. The plug was loose. I cleaned it up and reconnected the plug and it cleared the fault code. Apparently these Japanese grey iron units have this as a safety feature to lock the movement of the stick and boom to prevent the operator from getting the bucket into the machine and damaging it.

  36. #36sweet4772018-11-04 17:21

    I have a 308b sr my hydraulics stop after siting for a while I jump the safty switch it still wont work it will start with the wires jump befor it stoped working it would not start with the handle down any ideas

  37. #37Nige2018-11-05 03:41

    Are you any good diagnosing electrics..? Post a Serial Number and you're welcome to an Electrical Schematic if it's any use to you.

  38. #38sweet4772018-11-05 06:28

    3ys00805 that would be good thanks

  39. #39Nige2018-11-05 08:02

    Well it seems you have one of the few grey market models that were imported from Japan that don't have a US-built equivalent. Best I could find are a couple of schematics for 307B that are posted below. If you search for 111-4799 that is the P/N of the neutral start switch. There are 2 wires on that switch, 151 Green and A588 Green. 151 green brings power from the Hydraulic Lock Timer to the neutral start switch. A588 Green takes that power to the Hydraulic Lock Solenoid (when the neutral start switch contacts are closed). I would start by checking power on 151 Green with the key on. If you have no power start working backwards to the Hydraulic Lock Timer which is located in the circuit breaker panel.

  40. #40sweet4772018-11-06 19:33

    is the volt 12 or 24 in the wire where is the hydraulic lock timer located I have no power in the green wire

  41. #41Nige2018-11-07 04:24

    You'd have to check your particular machine (remember I'm working off a schematic for a 307B) but it's shown as 24v on my diagram. The hydraulic lock timer is located in the panel that contains all the relays and circuit breakers. If there is a Part Number marked on it, it's a 138-5190. You should find the 151 Green wire (amongst others) connected to it.

  42. #42sweet4772018-11-07 09:16

    ok thank you

  43. #43Jose macedo2022-09-10 07:43

    Hello everyone! I need the diagram for the hydraulic system, if you have the parts manual it would be great! Model 308B sr Serie 3YS01823 Im not being able to find it

  44. #44Nige2022-09-10 12:04

    There is no information in the online SIS system for this model. It was built as a Japan-only model and all publications were in Japanese. I assume that this also applied to the hydraulic and electrical schematic diagrams that were probably only ever available in paper form. The parts manual (written in a combination of English & Japanese) is available from Caterpillar Publications. Search https://catpublications.com for XJBP7647. You should get the illustration below. If you have someone who can translate Japanese there is an Operation & Maintenance Manual available for machines of Serial Number 3YS01601-Up. Search the same site for XJBU2486.

  45. #45Jose macedo2022-10-29 07:09

    Hello! I bought that scheme, but there are some differences and it doesn’t help me on my problem this is the machine with the plate part, and the specific part that I need the diagram, do you know where I can find the diagram for this one?

  46. #46Nige2022-10-29 07:31

    You are looking for a parts diagram for the Valve Gp 162-4530.? It should be in the Parts Manual XJBP7647. The best I can find is a parts list for it, but there is no illustration. The 3YS machine is not in the online system because it was never built for the World market. It is the only model that uses the 162-4530 Valve Gp.

  47. #47Jose macedo2022-10-29 07:52

    I have found the diagram, but it’s different, i need the hydraulic system, my guys have disassemble it and now they can’t put it right again

  48. #48Nige2022-10-29 07:58

    Do you mean the schematic for the complete hydraulic system.?

  49. #4992U 34062022-10-29 14:14

    Eeeek! Invest in a few bags of coloured zip ties and a decent camera for the future.

  50. #50Jose macedo2022-10-30 08:56

    I believe that the schematic for that specific part number is enough, but if we had the complete hydraulic system would be grateful

  51. #51Nige2022-10-30 09:02

    That you will find only in the Parts Manual XJBP7647 that I linked above. There are no diagrams available online. There is no complete hydraulic schematic available online and I have no idea where one could be found.

  52. #52Nige2022-10-30 09:16

    I found a couple of paper books on eBay in the UK. I'm sorry but a paper manual is the only way that you will find this information. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30463883...MI2a2zpYSI-wIViLHtCh31bwokEAQYAyABEgK30_D_BwE https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30463883...MI2a2zpYSI-wIViLHtCh31bwokEAQYAiABEgLovPD_BwE

  53. #53John 3082026-03-30 10:34

    I have a 308bsr serial number of 3YS00309. Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for that?