Has anyone found a source for the replacement of a broken skylight on a Kobelco 210, series -6? The original skylight is made from some sort of smoke-tinted acrylic or polycarbonate material I suppose, so when a limb fell on my cab that was the end of my skylight. Kobelco dealer wants over $800 to order it. Surely there is an aftermarket source, you think? Alibaba has some in China but I'm not keen on giving my credit card number to an overseas outfit. Salvage is apparently not a viable alternative either, because the salvage yards don't want to strip a good cab. And it would be 10 or more years old anyway and probably brittle. A piece of plexiglas from the hardware store has served to keep the rain out for the last 6 months, but it doesn't seal the heat or air conditioning in very well, and an 80 mile ride on my lowboy last week ripped it off. For whatever it's worth, my newer Kobelco has a steel grate on top of the skylight to prevent this sort of limb damage.
You are kind of stuck between the dealership and fabbing it up yourself. All of the manufactures I deal with have proprietary parts. The only thing that crosses over is hoses and teeth. Most everything else is a dealer item. I have learned as I got older, time is valuable. So spend your time making something better or bite the bullet and order it. I only say this as I have learned the hard way. Spent four hours in a junkyard once looking for a part for my wifes car. The part was $5 at the dealership.:Banghead
I have a broken one to. It's not broken like yours. The little tabs that the gas shock mount to both have broken on mine. I guess the best eventually got to them. It's not hurting anything except it annoys me. Not to the tune of 800.00 though wow. I figured it'd be expensive
I have the same issue with a Kobelco 200. Since you can't really see through it I am fabricating one out of 1/16 sheet metal. I approached the local Community College auto body class to see If they might like to try it. Haven't gotten an answer yet.
I quess a 160 sky-lite is made about the same as the 200? I did fork out $500 for the first one but after 2 years the UV rays does restrict view plus i keep the blind pulled forward most of the time for shade and help with glair. When the operator cracked it 3 weeks ago, i took it to our local metal fab. and he made one out of sheet metal for $30. it seals fine and want be cracking anymore. Save that money
Mine is cracked at one of the mounting hinges. I will probably just fiberglass that section. I would think these could be made out of fiberglass fairly easy using the factory one as a reverse mold. $800 is quite stiff