Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 308C CR alternator removal process

Catmando68 · 2024-03-28 21:10

Does anyone know the service procedure for removing the alternator on a 2003 308CCR excavator? I’ve got a Mitsubishi 4M4 engine. I get a battery light on startup along with a squealing noise. The belt is in good order. The unit will continue to squeal until I rev the engine several times and the alternator eventually rumbles to life. Squeal stops and alternator works. I have yet to determine if the unit has a clutch pulley. The alternator is tightly positioned close to the counterweight and radiator shroud. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2024-03-28 21:16

    First question. Is the belt tension correct.?

  2. #2Catmando682024-03-28 22:04

    Just checked. Seems a little loose. It will take some effort to get to the adjustment. I’ll adjust and report back. The weather is not helping me right now. Thanks.

  3. #3Nige2024-03-28 22:44

    The first thing the squealing noise suggested to me was a lack of belt tension.

  4. #4heymccall2024-03-28 23:35
  5. #5heymccall2024-03-28 23:38

    I'm betting on idler pulley bearing.

  6. #6Catmando682024-04-02 14:36

    Just checked. Seems a little loose. It will take some effort to get to the adjustment. I’ll adjust and report back. The weather is not helping me right now. Thanks.

  7. #7Catmando682024-04-03 14:38

    Update! Thank you Nige and Heymccal. After gaining access to the corroded alternator belt tensioner, I decided to replace the existing belts with Caterpillar part 205-6670. Now the machine starts w no squeaking and no battery warning light. I appreciate your help. It’s great to know that there is a CAT community

  8. #8Nige2024-04-03 15:30

    Nice to hear you solved your issue. A good idea to fit new belts as often tightening old ones can result in a belt breakage soon after. I hope you followed HMC's advice and checked the condition of the tensioner/pulley bearings while you were in there.

  9. #9Catmando682024-04-03 17:12

    Tensioner and pulley bearings checked out.. Thanks again. I’m ready for tractor weather!