Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 311 Engine/Pump stall

dieseldog5.9 ยท 2018-08-03 20:08

Just purchased a 311, From a buddy who was having issues so he bought a new machine. I have experience and resources with these issues in Hitachi and Deere machines just not cat. First Throttle does not work, manual override button it revs up and down, turn the dial and the dash changes a1 to a10 but does not throttle up. Second, I don't think the pump is swashing, I can dig with the machine in overide turtle mode, but in normal mode it isn't right. The controller behind the cab (assuming) pump controller green light is on. Apparently the controller was replaced once worked fine for a while, sent the old controller out for repair says it never worked. previous owner mentioned a calibration when changing the pump controller brings up a code, but doesn't know what, he thinks lightning may have taken them out. Looks like controller is awake if green light is on, I assume I need sequence for calibration, so I can pull codes and have a starting point. Sn 5PK00349 311 Cat Excavator

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2018-08-04 11:16

    OK, where to start..? First up, your machine is a Japanese-built grey import. It does not exist in the online Caterpillar literature under the as-built Serial Number 5PK00349. However all is not lost. From a Cross-Reference chart that I have it appears as though machines in the range 5PK00001-01000 have a non-Japanese built equivalent which is 9LJ00001-00261. The original Japanese Parts Book for 5PK is XJBP7176, an English equivalent for 9LJ is XEBP7200. An applicable Operation & Maintenance Manual would be SEBU6724. A applicable Service Manual would be SENR6130. Here are a few documents regarding the System Operation and Test & Adjust for the electronic & hydraulic systems for the 9LJ-prefix machine. Hopefully they will be helpful.

  2. #2dieseldog5.92018-08-08 13:42

    So, lots of information there Nige, huge thanks, spent most of Sunday pulling codes and looking at trouble trees. Codes. Here are the codes I pulled. E5 Alternator P open E9 Governor actuator voltage E16 Proportional reducing valve E34 Governor actuator I started with the governor circuit codes, and the trouble tree pretty quickly got me to replace controller. Not wanting to condem controller right away I worked on the other codes with little success. So frustrated I swapped in a spare controller that came with the machine the owner said didn't work for him, after he sent it for repair. Out of desperation I plugged in the spare controller, and voila it came to life, throttle control worked, proportional control worked. But why? I have 2 controllers, 1 appears to be working, who can these be sent to for repair, and why would they go bad, previous owner changed the controller once and ran great for a while, but thinks lightning could have taken the controller out the second time. Maybe a wire harness has an issue, or an alternator spiking? Guess I am waiting for the day it doesn't work and needs another controller?

  3. #3John C.2018-08-08 16:04

    I think I would be checking the harness connector pins on both the wire side and the computer side. Sounds like the act of unhooking them and then plugging them in again makes things come back to life.

  4. #4Nige2018-08-08 17:22

    Here's the Electrical Schematic (for a 9JL-prefix machine) if that's any help.