Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pump identification

03 EC210 · 2018-08-03 21:58

Hi All I have a 2003 Volvo ec210blc v11360. The main seal on the pump has been leaking into the bell housing. I bought the machine with this pump on it and don’t believe it’s the original one. Pulled the pump. Drive coupler was disintegrated. Can’t find any identification on the pump. Will a stock seal from Volvo fit in this pump? Or does someone know what pump it is? Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1uffex2018-08-04 04:32

    Good day Please see attached.Suggest you check the bearings and case pressure. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #203 EC2102018-08-04 17:23

    Thanks uffex So you think it’s a Kawasaki pump?

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-08-04 19:20

    Samsung/Volvo used Kawasaki pumps for a lot of the excavator application. That one just looks like a rebuiler got at it. Factory is usually dark grey. As Uffex stated, something is causing your pump to push oil out the shaft seal. Check your case drain filters. That would be the really large spin on in the pump room. Cut her open and see what is going on in there. Second, check the shaft at the seal lip, is she grooved. Did a bit of that Lovejoy get in there and hurt the seal. Don't overlook crankshaft endplay. You got the pumps out, no better time to measure it up. Doesn't take much effort. Take your time and ask questions. There's a lot of smart folks here who are willing to help out and offer suggestions

  4. #403 EC2102018-08-04 21:01

    Thanks FWF That helps. Had the machine almost three years and this is the last leak to fix. This seal has leaked since I’ve had it. I’ve changed all filters several times but never cut one open. I’ll do that and check shafts. No engine oil leaks out crank seal. Machine was running hot before I got it (clogged radiator and coolers, no foam and damaged fan shroud) all fixed and runs cool now but could the heat have caused this seal to fail? Thanks for the help I’ll post back what I find

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-08-04 21:07

    Yes, heat could have been a contributing factor. There is a thermostat in the oil pipe between cooler and tank. The b series and later C's had a very limited problem with some coming apart. Uffex is very knowledgeable and quick on prosis, I'm sure he'll find the service bulletin quickly. Hell it might be on excatech , I can't navigate that site to save my life.

  6. #603 EC2102018-08-04 21:21

    In the diagram uffex sent it appears to me that the seal can be changed by simply removing the one cover and not disassembling the pumps. Am I correct? Also I need a new drive coupler. Would the part from Volvo be of better quality than the ones I see on Ebay?

  7. #7funwithfuel2018-08-04 21:29

    Yeah, contact Flagler or LB Smith. They should be the dealer down there. Stick with factory, you can't go wrong. I have honestly never had a real issue with Volvo excavator pumps. Only had to change one. Customer drove a piece of rebar through the floor pans and pierced the feed pipe. They don't appreciate running dry. Catastrophic failure. But normal wear and tear. Them things just work.

  8. #803 EC2102018-08-04 21:54

    Yeah I deal with Flagler. Was thinking I should change the rubber suction hose while I’m at it. What about changing that seal. Is it just the first cover in the diagram?

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-08-04 22:03

    Yep, seal retainer. Separate from everything else. Take out the screws, remove assembly, swap seal replace the o-ring and yer ready to rock n roll.

  10. #10uffex2018-08-05 07:01

    Good day The information given by FWF according to our information is exactly correct, excessive case drain pressure can be caused by swing or track motor leakage however it sounds most probable the issue is with the pump shaft seal. Kind regards Uffex

  11. #11John C.2018-08-05 12:34

    Just a note. The disintegrated drive coupler could also be a reason for the seal leakage as well as age. I don't know how the seal is seated in the retainer but high case drain pressure will many times push the seal out or force the lip along the shaft out the back side. High case drain pressure also indicates a worn out pump. If your cycle times are in spec and the hydraulic oil temperature is not driving up the engine coolant temperature, then the pump is likely to be fine.

  12. #1203 EC2102018-08-05 15:19

    Will anything else cause high case drain pressure other than the filter? The filter looked very old when I bought the machine. I change filters quite often. Cheap insurance

  13. #13uffex2018-08-05 16:05

    Good day Case drain is the result of internal leakage, a worn piston for example will allow some leakage past the bore. The case drain is connected to the swing and track motors however these will only create case drain pressure whilst active this is why we would recommend measuring the case drain while the machine is working the pressure limits are in the specifications. Kind regards Uffex

  14. #14funwithfuel2018-08-05 16:13

    Going back, we no longer have the case drain filter that was in place when the seal failed. With the filter you have now, we can cut it open. You're looking for sparkles. If you don't have any, you should be ok. Swing and travel motors share case drain with pumps. If a part of the rotating assembly craps the bed, it will most certainly show up in the case filter. Checking your return filter may show elevated iron on the magnet stack. If you had no other problems but the leak, you should be ok. You will want to reach out to Flagler regarding the hydraulic oil thermostat. There is a service bulletin. It describes how to check it and proper placement. Aside from that, check your tank vent. Treed again. Dang it

  15. #1503 EC2102018-08-05 18:53

    Thanks I’m understanding more how it works now. How do you check the tank vent? I do push on it sometimes and there is always pressure in it

  16. #16funwithfuel2018-08-05 19:14

    That's all your after. Positive pressure on tank means no cavitating pumps