Is this a good excavator? Mostly just digging dirt and removing some trees here and there.... any downfalls to the machine?
Welcome to the Forums Derag2!:drinkup What model 311, the hours and condition?
It just says 311 on the side no B or CU.... there's 5400 hours... fresh repaint. Undercarriage appears in good shape.. I haven't ran it yet. I'm just wondering if it's a good excavator or if they are junk...
I don't have any experience with a 311 but I've owned a couple of 315's, 321's and a 325 (C and D models). All of them were good tractors, never had any real issues out of any of them.
A plain 311 was the second excavator I ever ran. Very good machine, good on fuel, decent power, and reliable. If it is in good shape, I would buy one no problem
I got some more info and some questions that I'm curious on.. I got to run the machine today and noticed a few things... One the front glass is broken as well as the door latches that hold the window in place so the top right corner flops around and it looks like someone tried chicken scratching some crap to try and rig it but its not working.... The slew bearing has some oil leaking from it, smells like gear lube with grease mixed in. The track seems to lack a little power seems like it struggles to move the machine when turning in the dirt? But I'm not sure maybe that's just the way it is, our mini X kind of has the same issue sometimes... The bottom rear plate has engine oil leaking out of it, is there anything that is a problem area on these things? I haven't pull the panel yet to see what is all going on but it could be just a bad drain plug washer? I checked the engine oil and it was low and also the hydro wasn't showing up in the sight glass... The guys asking 31 grand for the machine with 5600 hours on it.... Other things is fresh paint but it was just a spray over I wasn't a professional job but it looks decent, there is no thumb cylinder and the AC does work but its not a huge deal... What do you guys think? I am not real experienced with excavator but I do work on vehicles and do minor stuff on skidloaders and tractors.... Thanks in advance.....
If you get it for 31K, I would make sure you have another 20K on hand because is sounds like it's only a matter of time before you spend big bucks. The 311 is an old machine. I would question the hours if is was used by a dirt contractor. The other thing, I would call Cat and ask how much a final drive is for that machine. A friend of mine has a 311C and Cat told him 15K for a final drive because they no longer make that exact drive and some other part has to be changed. If I were you, I'd spend 50K and get something much more reliable. If you put 20k into that machine 2 days after you buy it certainly doesn't make it worth 20K more if you decide to sell it.
I didn't price a final drive but I priced the seal in the gear box for the swing and new door frame and glass. He said 2 grand for seal and labor that was high side he thought.. 2500 for front glass and frame... We aren't gonna use the machine every day... it might get used half dozen times a year for now... when you gotta pay 2 grand a week in rent plus deliver it adds up fast
What's the price?
He wants 31k for the machine...
I would pass, from the description too many things wrong with it and those are the things you know.
That's what I'm leaning towards... I wouldn't give him 31 anyways with what I already know is wrong he'd have to come down... but it's my bosses decision in the end.