I attached a photo of the problem. The boom works great but has some cosmetic issues from hitting something. Its a brand new KX057-4. Do you think it could be fixed by a welder without having to buy another boom kit for $4-5k.
Is that a cast piece that is welded up there or plate? Can you give some good side and close up pictures of what is going on to have a good perspective?
No insurance on the excavator? Or is this part of a scratch and dent sale? It can be fixed, matching the paint shouldn't be that difficult.
It actually was on a trailer and hit a lower overpass taking the whole cab off and it needs replaced. Its an insurance deal so am trying to figure out how much would have into it if I got it. That is the only close up picture I Have.
I wouldn't by anything that hit an overpass but for parts. As far as being fixed , really can't tell **** from that picture.
It runs, drives and operates great, so think it should be okay. Here is a link to the posting: http://www.heavysalvage.com/auctions/view/128009
Good score then.....sorry Still can't tell much from that photo. Anything can be repaired just about. Plates cut to size on either side and welded, grind off the damage first and some paint. Looks quite simple in terms of a fix if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.....fixed much worse in my day...
Unless you go to where that is and inspect it, please don't bid on it. Just from the video you can see almost all the sheet metal is bent and hanging wrong, the brackets and structure around the engine is all bent, the boom took a really good wallop to make the divot in the arm cylinder anchor point there, and I may be wrong but it looks to me like the brackets on the upper frame that the swing frame pins onto may be bent, it looks to my eye like the swing frame is leaning forward. :IMO
Yeah but it runs , drives and operates great....good grief !
Thanks for the thoughts. Thinking that maybe I should pass on it now.
All joking aside, any piece Of equipment that took a hit like that is normally nothing but trouble. The insurance company totals machines like that for good reason. Experience had taught them better than to mess with it trying to repair to a safe and reliable standard. Cheap is only good if sone level quality of quality remains. Been in the dirt business for many decades, and I would run away from it , not walk away... I'm going to buy it...
Okay. Hopefully I won't regret it but I canceled my bid. Didn't want to get into something deeper than I was thinking. They are about $70k new so was thinking if I got it for about $25k I would be alright.
I have seen better men then me go after these type of salvage units thinking that they could fix it and use it and be ahead of the game, only to find out it was a huge error in judgement. Again, Insurance companies scrap these for good reason. To fix them right , you end up having way more into them than they are worth and still end up with a piece of iron with more gremlins in it than you can handle....I have never been around one that turned out good....all that being said, I am 100 percent sure someone will jump on here and tell us all they turned a pile of crap into a bar of gold Everytime...
How in the heck does one knock the cab slam off and whack the boom of a mini-ex of all things with a bridge and not destroy the cab of the truck hauling it??? :beatsme Most likely that wreck will be somebody's baby, but it will take a helluva lot more coin to get that cab back in order than it will to fix that pin boss on the boom. That cab restore is gonna be big bucks.
I figured it would need a new cab. That old cab is totally destroyed. A new cab was around $7k.
I think you have your answer,DONT BUY IT.