Having to pull the head on a marine 3116 due to compression loss on #5.Suspect a burnt or bent exhaust valve.The adjuster on the exhaust valve was loose by 1/2 turn. Push rod not bent and rocker seems to have full travel.Does any one have access to cat manuals? Im trying to find the procedure for head bolt torque and spec.Serial number 4KG01784.I tried to look up specs online but seems to be alot of variation.Thanks in advance for any help.
Lube the threads and under the bolt head with 4C-5593. Start at the middle, then go in a circle. First round 45 lbs/ft 2nd round 320 lbs/ft Slam a Monster drink and go around again at 320 lbs/ft. Tighten the small ones to 45 lbs/ft. Make sure you get the correct thickness of head gasket. These things have been repaired so much and the decks milled, so compare the old gasket to the new one Hey, welcome to the HEF. I was a dealer tech when the 4KG hit the water. I made a lot of money fixing them. They were really a disaster of an engine, but I still like them. They have so many quirks and updates to be aware of. I would not touch one today unless it was my own.
Thanks for the info.All my experience is on the light duty automotive side.(35 years)This is one of my boat engines and I have really been impressed with them until now.They only have 1800 hours on them.I suspect the valve were tight and either burnt or bent #5 exhaust.I think I will be putting this off till I pull the boat in the winter.
What’s the name of your boat?
Attached is the head bolt torque procedure taken directly from Cat SIS.
Thanks for the procedure. Kind of weird to me that they want you to torque it and back off and torque again but I'm sure it has something to do with seating the head. Never seen that before. Name of the boat is JUST RIGHT.Might change it to NEVER RIGHT.Is it common for the cats to touch a valve if they are to tight. Was going to adjust at 2000 hrs but thinking Im a little late.
Any Cat engine where the valve mechanism has been messed with in any way (especially if the head has been off) should have a valve set done 250 hours afterwards, or at the first engine oil change, whichever comes first.
I wasn’t gonna mention the weird SiS procedure, to prevent confusion. I don’t agree with it, I was there at the DSTAB meeting when that was discussed. It was also discussed it with our Cat Marine Analyst Group. Cat has pretty much stopped supporting these engines, especially the marine. You might be surprised how different the philosophy was between the dirt and power systems side of the house with the 1.1 and 1.2 engines. One of the best sources of info on these things today is the AERA. I can talk about these engines all day. I was there when it all happened.
Just to muddy the waters a bit further. two types of head gasket depending on the cylinder block height.
There isn't a engine out there that doesn't have amendments to the original manuals/ procedures.
I think the 1.1 and 1.2 sets the record. Especially with the way the info was disseminated at the time. Much of it is missing in SIS.
And you may or may not be aware that Cat recommend a monograde SAE30 engine oil in the 3116 marine.
That’s a very good point. The 4KG dumps the crank case vent into the air intake and the VI package in the multi-vis HDEO will plug up the aftercooler in short order. Even under the best conditions, the after cooler has a 500 hour cleaning schedule. Reality is, 500 hours was about the life of an E-rated 3116.
That was a API CF/CF-2. Besides Shell T1, I’m not really sure if the other majors offer it in a 30wt. Schaeffer might have something. Off the top of my head.
God bless Cat for supporting their products. Google Cat special application engine oil. (Cat SAEO)
If they were my engines, I would have all the manuals for them, cheer’s
I’m fairly confident special application was discontinued recently in NACD. I just tried ordering a gallon of 170-5262 . It updates to 10w-30 DEO 515-3985. What does it show when you look it up? If it’s discontinued, I wonder what NC Power Systems is using in its place? The Egegik and Togiak fleets will be getting their seine skiffs ready for the season. Still a surprising number of these engines in Western AK. There is plenty of the special application for sale on EBay. Which is interesting.
When I worked out of the Tukwila machine store their bulk tanks for filled with Delo 400.
I just checked and Chevron Delo 400 API SJ/CF is still available, but most distributors are reluctant to stock because it just doesn’t sell. I remember giving away drums and drums of expired 30wt Delo from our Juneau warehouse because nobody purchased it. Back when I worked for big blue/big oil. Not that long ago. Realistically, with PC-12 DEO mandated for 1 January 27, the additive package is so much different than what we were using during the Seattle Grunge era. Will PC-12 jack-up an aftercooler on a 4KG like a 1990’s 15w-40 will? IDK? Maybe Stach454 can experiment for us. It’s not so bad. I developed a way to clean those things that worked fairly well. Cat said to toss them and purchase new ones. Of course, they did.
My goodness, all this talk makes me want to drunk purchase a SE power troll permit and a 3116 and hit the open sea. I like the rumble of the diesel and smell of the oil. I percolate my coffee on the radiator boil,…..
According to the service records they have had a steady diet of rottella straight 30.When I pull the head off I will also clean the aftercooler and see how it looks.Maybe switching to a 15-40.Straight 30 is getting hard to find and expensive.I believe cat said the multi weights are fine now with todays additives.I have heard alot of negatives about these engines.I have only had them for a couple years.I have to say when they are running good the are very clean and efficient.I really kinda like them.Guess we will see if my opinion changes after I replace the cups and set the rack.
A modern 15w-40 might be just fine. Got any pictures of the boat?
Not having any luck uploading a pic but you can google carrver 440 for the model.
Thanks everyone so much for the info.I will check in with you this fall when I get the head off and keep you updated on the progress.
If I had a boat like that, I would hoist a flag that says “chillin’ the most” and I would rock that b$tch up and down the coast. Becky could quit her job at the C-store and join me. Until the diesel and the liquor ran out. Then, She woukd probably shack up with my neighbor because he has a regular job.
Sounds like Popeye made his way to alaska and shacked up with sea hag.