Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rear axle build (big ford in Cat-426 1st series) 03 outer-bearing & seal

towbar ยท 2026-05-12 18:40

The LEFT axle (having lost some oil) was removed by a shop and that was when I took over! This left axle had a chewed up outer bearing, damaged race, and no seal found (probably discarded by the shop). I pulled the RIGHT axle and on it I found - the cone bearing in good shape - cast in-place black urethane rubber DIY 'seal' inboard of the retainer where the seal should have been I think. - the retainer (presuming that it is a SEAL retainer) - the seal, more or less loose between the retainet and wheel hub So I look at the Cat manual page and the exploded parts diagram (for #449 up) and think that whoever had done that work must have read them verbatim because both of those say to put on the shaft a new seal and a new retainer in that order! Although I enhanced this image it doest not make the sequence clear. The next image, also enhaced, shows the reatainer but no bearing and no seal. View attachment parts-expl.png I don't yet have the new parts on hand to do a proper id.

Replies2
  1. #1towbar2026-06-09 21:48

    I finally got the parts but am no further ahead. Rear axle sealing NOT being a procedure to take lightly... What is called the 'retainer' looks like a seal AND a retainer #9R2410 has a black rubberish seal with a spring around the innermost ring: straight forward, everyone has seen them. The light colored part is somewhat harder with a larger diameter. Note that this whitish piece has asymmetric ends and is the one that is called a 'seal' #9R6223. Is THIS the way to install it, if so what is its purpose? Is it just a dust seal to keep dirt away from the real and fragile (black) OIL seal? This IS the way I found the old ones on the axle, with the difference that they were no longer joined, the white part was more or less loose, worn out and seemingly accomplishing absolutely NOTHING. Since the white part is kind of clipped to the 'retainer' which is eventually 'staked' to the housing it is fixed to the housing, but the hub that it mates 'to' outboard is turning with the wheel. So IF this were a properly designed seal of sorts then there should be a mirror-like contact finish 'slipring' on the hub inboard face, there isn't! Hsitty engineering AND even hsittier documentation.

  2. #2Tenwheeler2026-06-09 22:30

    I also have never seen this. However I believe the white piece is just a sleeve ( spacer ) between the axle flange and the seal. When the axle is installed it pushes the seal in to the proper depth. Then you swedge it locking it in place. Be very sure the last staked spot does not interfere with your new seal and stake it at different spots.