Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 311B hydraulic hose nut sizes

Kyle_311B · 2025-08-18 09:49

I’m looking for what size a 1997 Cat 311B hydraulic hose nuts are from the manifold. It’s grey market and measuring it looks like 1 1/2”. Also what type of wrenches are people using to loosen and torque the hoses down on the track motor manifold behind the boom. It is a tight spot and a pain to get to. I’m looking at crows foot wrenches. Would this be what I need? Thanks in advance.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-08-18 09:58

    Are you talking about the lines to the centre swivel marked 1, 2, & 3 on the illustration.? Post a Serial Number please.

  2. #2Kyle_311B2025-08-18 10:19

    Yes those are the hoses. 8HR00792 is the SN

  3. #3Nige2025-08-18 10:54

    I think you're right - 1-1/2" is the nut size. ORFS Dash 12. Regarding tools, it's whatever will fit in there. You may find it's a case of having to remove hoses in a certain order starting with the most accessbile ones first. There are parts manuals available for these machines. In the case of 8HR-prefix the Cat Publication reference is XJBP7634. Don't worry about it being in Japanese, they are perfectly understandable.

  4. #4Kyle_311B2025-08-18 10:57

    Thank you for your help Nige!

  5. #5Nige2025-08-18 11:00

    No worries. If you want a "World" equivalent of your particular Serial Number use 8GR00327 which was built in the same factory within a week or so of 8HR00792. That said I would still not guarantee 100% that the two Serial Number of machine are identical in all respects.

  6. #6Kyle_311B2025-08-18 12:17

    Great to know. I appreciate your time and experience. Have a great day.

  7. #7Columbo2025-08-18 20:54

    You’re in good hands with @Nige . I also had a 311B with the 8HR prefix, using the 8GR prefix got me all the parts and service I needed while I owned the machine. The only differences between the 8HR and 8GR that I found were in the cab arrangements.

  8. #8Kyle_311B2025-08-20 09:54

    That’s good to know. I know most stuff is the same but didn’t know it was mainly the cab that had differences. Nige has been helpful every time I’ve posted asking questions. Which is super helpful for me. I try and do my own work as much as possible. I am not a big fan of spending thousands of dollars for CAT to come fix what I can do myself for a lot less.

  9. #9Nige2025-08-20 10:04

    That's why I always recommend people such as yourself to get a Service Manual. See if you can track down a copy of SENR9220, bearing in mind that a new paper copy of said manual is currently priced close to $900 although it is available on CD for $620. IMHO: a) The cost of one is peanuts compared to a dealer service visit, and b) It's an investment that you can re-sell if you ever dispose of the machine - probably at the same price you originally paid for it.

  10. #10Kyle_311B2025-08-20 10:53

    I have looked into them and the price is what has stopped me from buying one. But you are exactly right. It would be great to have and save me a lot of time and headaches when I need it. Maybe I’ll ask Santa to put a down payment towards it this year.

  11. #11Nige2025-08-20 11:49

    Divide the cost of the manual by the $150/hr which is approx what dealer labour costs these days and figure out how many hours it buys you...... Looking at it that way it's cheap.