Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312

Seaside LPS ยท 2009-10-14 22:13

what are thoughts on a Cat 312 vs a Volve EC 140B lc I have been leasing the 140 and like it but found a deal on a Cat 312 and swayed my opinion. I want to stay around the 30K operating weight machines so Im not too big and not too small as I already have the mini. Leasing is ok but want to find a good used machine. PS the cat is an 05 with 2500hrs

Replies23
  1. #1nedly052009-10-15 00:25

    I would probably be inclined to go with the volvo, just because you know the machine at this point. Can you get the cat for a few days to try out?

  2. #2heavylift2009-10-15 00:56

    I've ran a 312 .... I really liked it.. Like you said it's a not too big not too small machine... as stated above I would think they would let you try it for a few days....

  3. #3Geraldes2009-10-15 04:33

    Dont have any experience with the volvo but the cat 312 is a rather good machine, 2500 hours isnt that much but it will be a good thing to look if the machine had proper maintenance over the years. Overall it is a very flexible machine just as heavylift said. trying out a few days is a good idea.

  4. #4special tool2009-10-15 06:30

    Buddy of mine bought a 312 new a few years ago. He never brings a tractor to his jobs, so that thing has walked all over heck its whole life - the bottom is just now going at 10,000 hours. Also - its really fast, it spins at 12 RPM, or something like that - you can tell. Very fast machine.

  5. #5maddog2009-10-15 07:54

    I used a 312 before and really like it, I'm also with the others is there away you could try it out?

  6. #6Eddiebackblade2009-10-15 18:22

    Got a fair amount of seat time on the Volvo, but had many enjoyable hours on CAT 312c's. In my humble they are both very good well built excavators, but the CAT will just get the edge for me. As to why? very solid performer with good balance, absolutely no need to get the 'L' version as they will do everything with a standard undercarriage. Fuel consumption is acceptable and the cab is a nice place to spend the day. Never laid a spanner on one and can honestly quote myself that the 312c was 'the first Cat I would pay for myself!' Watch the spec if you use a lot of attachments because this is one area that Volvo usually have covered as standard, but Cat's can come with all sorts of pipework. If anyone wonders what taints the Volvo for me, it is simply the poor quality switches littered all over the cab, and the ridiculous performance with switches when trying to change a bucket. All been resolved on the latest Volvo, but yet to use one in anger. At 2500hrs the Cat should be a good bet, will they do a hire to buy for maybe a week to get a good feel for one. But a real good point from 'nedly05' if you are familiar and happy with the Volvo why not go for it. Best of Luck Eddie.

  7. #7NH29092009-10-15 18:30

    what engine has it mitsu or perkins

  8. #8Seaside LPS2009-10-15 18:47

    The cat 312 Is a private sale so the owner isn't willing me to take to a site to demo. I ran it when I looked at it and really liked it. I like the Volvo 140 but it is new so expensive price tag versus the 312 that is used and a better price point. I have been looking for used 140's but hard to find there was one on iron planet that I should had bid on but it got away. I don't really need much for attachments just a thumb and a tilt bucket will be run on it. I guess my uncertainty on spending a lot for new is it is the perfect size for me now but based on the connections I'm making in a year to 2 years I might have outgrown it and then trying to recoup on the new price. So I guess it is more of a new or used question instead of which machine.

  9. #9EZ TRBO2009-10-15 22:42

    The 312 that my uncle bought new in 96 is still going strong, he put 2500 hours on it before he got out of digging and sold it to us, we ran it hard for another 3500 hours and then sold it when we got out of the biz a few years ago, the company I work for now bought it and they just sold it to another customer and he is very happy with it. Since it was new it has had the usual wear and tear items replaced, UC was done at 3k, far as engine goes, water pump, front seal and a head gasket is all that has been done. Aside from cylinders being re sealed and packed nothing major had ever been done with it. That aside I know any of the guys that have ran the Volvos really like them, so it just comes down to either the check book or personal preference. Good Luck Trbo

  10. #10plantman.uk2009-11-07 15:39

    i've been on a 312 cat now for about a month i have also used volvo....out of choice i would go with the volvo only because it feels much more responsive on the levers quicker i think...nice machines.

  11. #11Jam2009-12-28 10:51

    CAT 312..... Best allrounder iv ever own..! How do i post some pics?

  12. #12Jam2009-12-28 12:52

    Figured it out

  13. #13Jam2009-12-28 12:59

    A few more....

  14. #14Seaside LPS2009-12-28 15:02

    I like all the attachments you have for it. What kind of soil you digging in over there? ever have to deal with ledge or stone while digging? How many hours and what if any problems have you had?

  15. #15Jam2009-12-28 16:37

    We were clearing the site for the house in the pic above....about 12" of cork topsoil Digger is used mostly for attachment and grading work. Most of our digging work is fairly light so we run it with a 48" digging bucket. the machine has 6500hrs on her and with the exception of a water pump has worked away without a glitch.

  16. #16Jam2009-12-28 16:52

    This is the second machine in our stable....FH130 countless hours done. Reconditioned the hydraulic pump a while back and replaced a few ram seals has run faultlessly. Fingers crossed our CAT will last as long, the Hitachi is unbelievable

  17. #17plantman.uk2009-12-29 13:45

    that looks like an older 312.....i've just been on a 312d not a bad yoke....you have plenty of attactments for it anyway it seems these are now taking over from the old 3cx machines for site work must say i hate small sites myself having to look after all the moaning trades

  18. #18JoeS19892010-01-01 05:29

    Dont buy a 312! Go for Hitachi Out performs everything on the market!

  19. #19Eddiebackblade2010-01-01 06:08

    Joe you can't possibly get away with such a bold statement on here without some more evidence!! I am a massive Hitachi fan also, having been bought an FH 130.3 just like Jam's pictured to prevent me leaving a company. I had just like Plantman states done my time on the Backhoe loaders and was desperate to get onto tracks. The Hitachi was absolutely fantastic and never had a spanner on it, until I had a few days off and a lazy operator left the vandal guards off. The result was a completely burnt out machine!! I have owned my own Zaxis 160 by choice, but am well placed to comment on the CAT 312. I would argue that the only area the Hitachi would get the edge on one would be Fuel Consumption. The 312 are fairly fast machines and tremendosly strong lifters whilst being very stable with excellent floatation and super reliable. Basically all you would want in a machine. I totally agree the Hitachi is excellent, but surely no better!!

  20. #20special tool2010-01-01 09:58

    Hitachi....:lmao How many different manufacturers come together to make those melting pot machines? Better yet.....doesn't Hitachi make televisions too, and sawzalls? How about a crock pot for the missus??:drinkup

  21. #21sfc2010-01-02 13:46

    i run a 07 cat 312 done 3000 hours no problems. have been told early 312c engines can give problems. volvo undercarriage wears out quicker than moast. the cat is better ,but the volvo is a good second. i would not put a hitachi up against either of them

  22. #22Jam2010-01-02 17:09

    We even use ours for basket work.....learn our lesson years ago to leave the loadall at home

  23. #23Jam2010-01-16 17:12

    Found another few craning pics