Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adjusting Deere Tracks

deeredriver ยท 2009-10-15 18:59

Any Deere experts here? Im having a problem adjusting the tracks on my 690ELC. I tried with the grease gun today, and all I get is my lincoln power luber screaming because the grease is under so much pressure. The adjustor will not move. So i loosened the big fitting where grease is added to asjust the track, and sure enough grease comes squirting out everywhere. So I then reach down and under to the adjusting piston and no grease is leaking past the seal. So am I out of track adjustment? How can I measure? The frame the holds the idler wheel on is sticking out past the UC frame about 1 inch. If im out of adjustment, can I take a link out? Both sides are doing this. I never noticed a problem last time I adjusted them. But then again I have not adjusted the tracks in almost 2 years bec I put 200 or less hrs on per year. I know my pins are getting worn down pretty good. And before I forget, how much track sag should I have when I adjust them? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2009-10-15 19:14

    I would think a inch, wouldnt be at the end of the travel, BUT, if someone has took a link out, it maybe out of travel at 1 inch. I would slack the tracks/adjuster off and then try pumping it out again and make sure they are not frozen (I doubt, if both sides are froze) If the adjuster, doesnt move in, try a little pressure with the bucket, to push it in. I have taken links out, on worn tracks, to get more use out of them. I wouldnt run them real tight, just enough to keep the tracks on (how much that is, is a guess, maybe 2") I have never had any success, pumping tracks out, with my 14v Lincoln. I always have to use the manual gun, for the final pumping Hows your idlers and sprockets? nice thread going on now about rebuilding sprockets on a AC loader Just my 2 cents worth

  2. #2deeredriver2009-10-15 19:35

    My idlers and sprockets are good. Im not so sure I want to let pressure off and push the adjuster in. Wont that screw up the seal? When I took off the fitting and let the grease out the adjuster did move in a little. Then I put the fitting back in and pumped up the grease again and the adjuster did slide. But very little and then it just stoped.

  3. #3jarvis roads2009-10-19 21:28

    sounds to me like you are out of adjustment

  4. #4deeredriver2009-10-19 21:34

    Anyone have a solution to this? How expensive is a mobile press to come out and take a link out? Im about 20 miles from my dealer. Thanks

  5. #5deeredriver2009-10-21 20:50

    Anyone ever used a sledge hammer and a big heating tip to remove a track pin?

  6. #6Willis Bushogin2009-10-21 21:01

    track and a tee bar, to drive the pin out, No never done that. LOL I think anyone with a track machine has done and still doing it. My worst memory, is doing it in the mud, we through a track and it was so far to a good solid ground, I decided to do it where we were. We tried to get the track back on, without breaking it, but it didnt work this time. Ive had to burn the pins out also, wheres that track press when you need one. All these experiences, are something you can tell the grandkids about

  7. #7RKO2009-10-21 21:09

    If the frame that holds the front idler is sticking out pass the frame 1 inch you are out of adjustment. I would not waste my time trying to take a link out. That is just a short term fix, unless you only use the machine a few hours a year. If you do decide to take a link out, It will cost more to have a track shop remove a link than you will get benefit out of the wore out tracks. You can try to get the master link out with a sledge hammer, but good luck at that. A cutting torch is your best bet. I would just buy new tracks and fix the problem right the first time.

  8. #8deeredriver2009-10-21 21:30

    how many hours can i expect to get out of the tracks if i do remove a link. I only put on about 50 a year now. Thanks

  9. #9RKO2009-10-21 22:56

    That is a loaded question. It could be as low as one hour to several hundred. IT all depends on usages and luck. If the rails are that wore that you need to take a link out I would say the internal wear is great on the pins and bushings. Put some stress on the rail and it would not take much to break the rail. Excavators put more side load on a rail than a dozer does. That is what will probably break the rail. I have heard prices from as low as 500 dollars to 2500 dollars to have a track shop come out use their track press. By the time you spend much money on an wore out set of rails, use that money towards a new set of rails and not waste the money. If you are still firm on taking a link out, don't waste your money on a track shop. Just cut the old link out with a torch and use a new master pin.