Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312

Gavin L · 2024-09-11 14:37

Greetings, So I got wiring problems from rats and squirrels and they chewed up a lot of wires. Here’s the info on the machine: 1993 312 serial: 7DK01724. I know it’s a grey market machine but it runs like a top. So I got into the monitor error codes and have a e18 and e5 also a battery indicator light is on. So I’m assuming that it’s chewed wiring somewhere. All the top alternator wires are completely chewed in half and the pr valve wires are chewed with another solenoid (I’d assume). So all the wording/numbers on the wires are completely gone from bad environment so I’m going to have to go of volts, current, and back tracing wires. I have a good multimeter for testing them if I can get voltage readings maybe… Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2024-09-11 15:44

    Generally it appears that the crossover from the 7DK machine goes to the 6GK prefix. The problem is that there is a Serial Number break at 6GK00392, and the $64k question is whether the closest equivalent to 7DK01724 is a 6GK machine above or below 392. There is a Serial Number break in the 7DK range at 7DK02999, and from the documents I can see it appears as though any machine Serial Number below 7DK02999 corresponds to the Serial Number range from 6GK00001 up to 6GK00392, and a machine number from 7DK03000-Up corresponds to the Serial Number range 6GK00393-Up. I have an electrical schematic covering 6GK machines from 1-392 that I'll send to you

  2. #2Gavin L2024-09-11 16:01

    So on the alternator there is 7 wires, 4 grounds, one sensing, one trigger?, one battery power. Now the trigger and sensing wires are both chewed right off the alternator and I can’t figure out which is which on the alternator…