Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312, Adjusting Hydraulic Pump Pressure?

Nritter21621 · 2018-05-09 10:06

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the hydraulic pump pressure on a caterpillar 312? It is not tracking correctly and I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the hydraulic pressure to help fix the issue.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2018-05-09 10:24

    You mean it's not tracking fast enough or not tracking in a straight line (or both)..? S/N please .......

  2. #2Nritter216212018-05-09 10:36

    It is not tracking fast enough and does not have enough power to turn.

  3. #3Nige2018-05-09 11:09

    Usually the first place to look with symptoms like that is a centre swivel reseal. Again, what’s your Serial Number..?

  4. #4Nritter216212018-05-09 11:25

    The serial number is 6GK01173 (my apologies I did not notice that question earlier). I'm at work and trying to do this at the same time. I agree about the main swivel, my issue is I do not know what the point of pressure should be at. If I knew the pump pressure I would know where to go from there. I have 3500 at the pump and the tracks. By the way Thank you for your help, I wasn't sure if I was going to get a response and am grateful for the advice.

  5. #5mikebramel2018-05-09 12:16

    cap the hose off before it hits the swivel, is the pressure higher, yes ->leaking

  6. #6DEMLONE702018-05-09 12:18

    Travel pressure is 5000 psi Implement 4000 psi

  7. #7Nritter216212018-05-10 10:44

    Thank you all for your advice and thank you Nige for all your help, I now have all the information I need to tackle this excavator!

  8. #8Nige2018-05-10 11:17

    Don’t forget to post back and let everyone know what the root cause of the problem was.

  9. #9Nritter216212018-06-01 08:32

    Good morning everyone I just wanted to leave an update about what happened with the 312. The hydraulic pump ended up needing to be replaced. I got a new one in there and everything seems to be working better with the machine. Without knowing what the pressure was suppose to be I would have never figured out that was the issue. Thank you all for your help! By the way does anyone know what kind of hydraulic oil this machine takes? Once I get that in there she's back to work.

  10. #10Nige2018-06-01 08:45

    Any good quality SAE10W (or ISO AW32) hydraulic oil from a reputable oil company would meet the OEM specification for the hydraulic system.

  11. #11Nritter216212018-06-01 08:53

    Thank you, I hope this forum helps others in the future.