Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 BL hydraulic flow

agcorp · 2013-03-08 07:14

I have a Cat 312 BL with auxiliary hydraulic 3ard valve. I just put on a tamper plate and I do not know the flow going to my plate. The factory specs are 63.4 gpm (is that also my auxiliary flow?) and I think that 63 gpm might blow up my tamper. I bought this tamper used and thinking the flow rate should be no more than around 20 gpm. Sure can use some help on this one.

Replies9
  1. #1mikebramel2013-03-08 09:58

    63GPM sounds like it would be all three pumps COMBINED. 63GPM at 3500 psi would require over 200HP. Auxiliary for that machine probably has about 20-30GPM at full throttle

  2. #2agcorp2013-03-08 12:23

    Cat 312BL Mike, Thanks so much for your input.

  3. #3jake9802013-03-09 18:10

    to do it properly you should have the machine flow tested and set up to spec...(the spec of the tamper)

  4. #4agcorp2013-03-10 05:00

    Jake, Any idea what the cost associated with that would be?

  5. #5WhyWhyZed2013-03-10 09:19

    "3rd valve"? there are 3 or 4 different attachment plumbing arrangements from the factory. One setup only delivers 1 pump flow down to the couplers, Others deliver on/off or proportional 2 pump flow. Does yours operate with thumb buttons or a pedal? None of the factory setups use any additional valve - they just connect to the aux spool that is standard on every 312B (every Cat excavator since 1992 actually) If you have flat face couplers, testing the flow with a flow meter with a load valve would be a 1 hour job. There are several ways flow and pressure can be adjusted depending on which attachment lines group you have.

  6. #6agcorp2013-03-11 17:14

    Yes, it is a 3ard valve on each side of boom piped into a metal box (3"x4" approx) that works off a foot pedal two directions. I do have flat face couples. Would I use a gpm gauge looped at coupling to coupling on boom then run machine at idle to get flow rate at idle and power up to full throttle for that reading? Thanks for your input.

  7. #7mikebramel2013-03-11 17:25

    You can do whatever you want but I would connect the unit, engage at idle and bring the speed up to where it works good for you. If you have a 12 ton excavator I am sure you can figure out whether it is running right or not

  8. #8agcorp2013-03-11 18:22

    hey mike, thanks for your input, makes sense that you know what works for your machine

  9. #9CRAFT2013-03-13 03:35

    When I set up my brush mulcher off of my Skid-steer I installed (2) 3-way valves off of the thumb circuit lines ….. we then had the flow tested …. it was ~30gpm @WOT …. we did other tests on it as well … they all corresponded with each other ….. Hope that'll help you out …… Cheers