How difficult is it to move the fixed thumb out of the way on a Cat 312DL? I don't see another pin hole to use to move it out of the way. here's a pic of the thumb & stick.
It looks like a slosby thumb you pull the top pin on the stiff arm and fold the arm down towards the tines then take the bucket and lift it up with the stick folded in between the tracks. When it folds up all of the way to the arm the hole in front of where the stiff arm is now will be where you can reinsert the pin you took out and that locks it up. I hope that all makes sense it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it I do it by myself all of the time but the first few times it helps to have someone watch till you get the hang of it. Make sure when putting the pin in to lock it up you line the bolt hole up as best you can before you push it in because it leaves none of the pin out for you to turn to line it up. I keep a punch in my 320 to help but the hole needs to be close. Nice machine!
I was actually gonna say that but as I have never used one before I didn't want to sound stupid :tong
Here is a photo of mine folded out of the way. My machine is a little older but the configuration appears to be the same. Folding procedure is different from 06Pete described. Hope this helps
Does the link bang around or does it stay still? Looks like it could swing around & bang the stick.
I haven't really paid attention, but I think the link stays pretty still and does not bang against the stick (although it looks like it should in the photo). Of course, it will rattle but you never know it from inside the cab.
I went out to the machine today. The link is free to flop back and forth between the thumb and the stick.