Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 burn job

rudeag ยท 2010-04-02 08:35

New to group, have run my Case 450B on ranch for years. First of many questions as I know next to nothing about Cats or excavators. Recently acquired a Cat 312 S/N 7DK02085 that had a fire in the hyd. area. Burned all the wires and small hoses. I have a parts book and service manual but they leave something to be desired. I need to swing the unit about 90 degrees to get to the wiring. Ser. Man. says I can pressurize the brake port on valve to motor and disengage brake and allow unit to free wheel. True or not? Also are the fittings American or metric? Randy E Tx

Replies7
  1. #1stock2010-04-02 08:42

    BSP I think..

  2. #2ben46a2010-04-02 08:43

    Fittings should be standard O ring face type. If you pressureize it with a porta power make sure you tee in a gage and dont go over say 550 psi or youll likely damage some components, Take your time as once the brake is off it doesnt take any time for it to hit 550 psi.

  3. #3John C.2010-04-02 09:30

    I'm thinking you would be better off pulling the bolts out of the swing motor and picking it up enough to disengage the shaft. Just releasing the brake means you will still have to push the house around through the resistance of the swing machinery and the motor with oil in it. Did all the hoses get burned? If so you need to remove the motor anyway. Good Luck!

  4. #4rudeag2010-04-02 09:32

    Thanks,I should remove the pilot valve, right?

  5. #5rudeag2010-04-02 09:44

    no, not all the hoses. The large ones made it thru, the small ones and wires are toast.

  6. #6CRAFT2010-04-03 01:30

    No ...just remove the bolts around the swing motor located behind the boom, but make sure that the crap and debris around is gone power wash it first if you have to ...... you'll regret it if you don't and a bunch of **** gets into there .... you will have to create some sort of lifting set-up cause the motor is heavy ... I know what you mean about it being tight and right angle is better but if you have to build a temp table/bench off of the tracks so you can stand or sit on .... that might be easier than lifting the swing motor ..... good luck and take your time

  7. #7Tracktorsboy2010-04-03 02:46

    help me i have trouble, my komatsu pc 100 - 6 error 05 any one can help? What problem is this?