Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 idler set up

mrh1966 · 2014-03-16 13:06

Can anyone give me some advice on the idler set up on this machine? I am trying to get the adjuster out to replace the seals........if I pull the idler off will the compressed spring mechanism just slide out, just leaving the adjusted to be removed.......also what will happen if the bolt holding the compressed spring is broken, will I be able to get any adjustment on it?....if anyone has any diagrams on it it would be much appreciated....thanks

Replies11
  1. #1CRAFT2014-03-16 14:31

    To start off …. yes you should be able to slide the whole unit out, but if the bolt is broken it will come out in pieces ….. I am dealing with this exact problem on mine currently too …….. No you can not get proper adjustment, because if the bolt is broken the idler spring preload is extended forward resulting in the stroke of the hyd/grease tensioner has NOT got enough travel to compensate for the extended spring …….. I had the pics sent to me from Cat SIS, and they were not the clearest, but there is not much to it…. Once the idler and carriage are removed from the Car-Body you will be able to remove the bolts holding the hyd cyl in place ……then slide that unit out, the kit which has a couple o-rings and teflon backers is not that pricey …. BUT !!! …. the caging bolt/rod is over $900 cad from Cat ……I have to replace my rails first, when this happens I will also rebuild the cyls and replace both sides the rods ….. But i'm going to rebuild my own …… Cheers hope this helped a bit !!!

  2. #2mrh19662014-03-16 15:49

    Thanks Craft. I thought that was the case.......I am on this island in the Bahamas so getting any parts is a big problem......from what I can see the nut has come off the bolt.......is this bought separately or does it come with the spring etc.....is there any other way to solve this problem?.......I have managed to change the sprocket, top roller and am in the middle of changing the hydraulic rad......I have also noticed it has a hole in the exhaust just where it connects to the muffler...small pipe which comes from the turbo!...got all this stuff sent over from the UK and have come out for 9 days to try and fix it.....80% import duty!!!!

  3. #3Nige2014-03-16 17:23

    MRH, PM me your email address and serial number. I'll send you the parts breakdown for the tensioner mechanism.

  4. #4CRAFT2014-03-16 21:17

    Hmmmm ??? ….Nut coming off of the rod ??? ….I highly doubt that, it should of had a Hard washer then 2-thinner nuts locking into each other …. again in my case it broke off clean and flush with the bottom (first) nut …. I knew this because I was tracking backwards and seen something on the ground ….sure enough it was the 2-nuts and the washer ……. Is your other side the same (missing the nuts) or is it still there, have a look and compare …. but as I'm sure you know the only way to do this (unless it's already dismantled) is to elevate the undercarriage, block it up to be safe and then look up and into where the spring is located with a really loose track …. IF you found an exhaust Leak, there will probably be a tell-tale there (sooty mess) …. make sure it doesn't/hasn't been blowing HOT exhaust gases onto the motorized throttle actuator, it'll melt the shielding and seize the cables $$$$$ ….. I learned that one the hard way a few yrs ago

  5. #5overworked2014-03-16 21:19

    Once the bolt breaks, it is usually cheaper to replace spring assembly with an after market one, no real downtime. Just swap it out. The old bolts make nice big punches.

  6. #6mrh19662014-03-16 21:30

    Craft .... Yes nuts have come off... Other side still in good shape....exhaust blow is at top just after the turbo...I too had exhaust blow which melted throttle cables...have tied rope and threaded into cab and now have a manual throttle.... Best I could do when in the middle of nowhere!!!! Overworked....any idea of the price of them? Thanks for the replies

  7. #7overworked2014-03-16 22:07

    Been a few years, I'll have to check to see , I'll be back.

  8. #8mrh19662014-03-16 22:39

    Cheers overworked

  9. #9ciaran2014-03-18 08:29

    Hi mrh Have you got sorted with your idler.? All will come out in one unit if coil spring retainer is not broken. If it is you will notice the track tension will not come off. After grease is released the tension will still be on the chain. You will have to hold the bucket again the idler to split the track. You will then have to get the spring compressed in a press to get the nut on again. Give me your details and I will get you the diagrams and disassembly / assembly.

  10. #10ciaran2014-03-18 08:46

    Mrh, please supply serial number too.

  11. #11mrh19662014-03-18 12:52

    S/n 9hr02634 Cat 312B 1998 Ciaran.........I have emailed you ......thanks Nige............thanks again!!!!! Can anyone help with info on how to split the track tensioner to replace the seals.......when spring broke I think it pushed it right in and now it doesn't want to move!!! Cheers