We had a spring/summer with lots of rain. I park my machine with the boom cylinders vertical. A large amount of water was in the reservoir when servicing the machine. Are there any other entry points for water other than the boom cyls? The fill point on top is secure. I completely drained the reservoir of water and fluid. I have had the cyls re-packed and will install soon. Is there a purging/priming process I need to be aware of after installation and filling with fluid? Thanks.
??? If you have noticeable water in the hydraulic oil, I can't see it being sourced in via the boom cylinder rod seals. The reservoir cap may have been left off, or, worse, the reservoir may be cracked.
+1. ˄˄˄˄˄ Condensation above the oil level from the last time it was run..? Is the oil somewhat milky in appearance or clear and bright..? Regarding a purge procedure, I would suggest overfilling the tank somewhat over the full mark before starting because you know it's going to go down. Then when you first start the machine raise the boom cylinders slowly with the engine at idle until they top out. Have someone watching the oil level in the tank while you do this. Then if the oil level is still good ease the cylinders slowly down and bottom them out. This may need a bit of engine RPM and will jack the machine off the ground. Do this at least a couple of times, a final level check and you should be good to go.
I believe Nige is correct about condensation being in the tank. Hot and wet climates with lots of down time between operation means extra measures need to be taken to keep any oil product reservoir clean. Purging usually works better if you leave the cap off the hydraulic tank, or at least leave it loose while moving the cylinders. This lets the air from the cylinders out of the tank as the cylinders fill up. I usually fill the cylinders in stages as well. Extend them maybe half way and then pull them back about a quarter of the way. Work them a little farther each time until the rods reach the ends. This way you make sure that oil is on the packings and air/oil mix can't burn. I don't like to bottom cylinders out, especially when purging them of air.
Thanks for all the replies. Tank cap was secure along with bolts on inspection plates and no visible cracks or breaks in tank. Fluid was extremely milky. Yes, a hot and wet climate is a problem but machine has not had water in fluid for 10 or so years, just this spring/summer. Will try the re-fill procedure but hesitate to potentially contaminate the new fluid until I find a definite cause but will give 'er a try.
Milky oil means it's mixed (somewhat) with water. Did you start the machine up and operate it with the milky oil..? Because if you did that oil is now everywhere in the hydraulic system which is not good.
Yes, it is in the entire system because the water got in the system while it was deep in the woods and hoe was moved to the shop.
You're in for a big cleanout job then. Every hose, every cylinder, all the main & pilot control valves, centre swivel, travel motors. And that's just for starters.........