does anyone have any experience with these because I stopped at the dealer we have and I just gotta say they look pretty nice I don't know many people who run them though
Way overcomplicated. Worked for local dealer for a year n a half. Never developed an appreciation. They will certainly withstand continual abuse. The structures are phenomenal. Everything is proprietary, nothing fits other stuff, it's all unique. But godd@mn they are stout. Recycling and scrap yards rely on them heavily. You'll have to wait for stuff out of Europe from time to time. But that's with just about everything nowadays. I guess from a consumer standpoint, they ain't so bad.
well I was riding home from picking up my mini and I saw the dealer so I stopped and looked and they look nice and in the market for a mid size machine and I dint get a price but id stand out in the contractor world with one of them I looked into more and seems they are popular with the scrap yards but I don't see many used for sale or anything
Pricey, from what I hear. The justification is, it's a lifetime investment. Remember what I said about nothing fits, that includes buckets. Just different enough to require special fabrication, if you get their quick attach, you have to use buckets for that attachment bracket, and it sucks. Again , very strong, just not practical and very finicky. Everybody here knows I like Volvos , learning Komatsu, starting to appreciate them, little by little.
well I can see where that would be problem but I liked the volvo I demoed but im just trying to insure I have enough work before I spend that money so I thought id see if anyone had any idea about old Liebherr
Oh, I forgot about that, did you try that zero swing? How'd you like it? I think Liebherr is pricier than the volvo. But I think you are paying for the weight, they are stout and heavy. Pressure in Liebherr and Komatsù run on the high side in comparison to Cat, Deere and Volvo. Good luck on whatever you choose
I did like the volvo it helped finish up our road expansion job and tested it on a short demo I liked everything about but the damn operator I had on well got fired so I wont able to get his words for it but when I ran I liked it the zero swing will be little more pricey but I think if I go with anything it be the zero swing it did great work
For Liebherr, in my experience, they have and over complicated hydraulic system with extremely tight tolerances. It will not tolerate any contamination at all. The pumps are put together from the backside to the drive train and no one is able to rebuild one in this country. If it shotguns it takes out every component in the hydraulic system. Box it all up and send to the manufacturer for exchange components. Also don't bank on there being anyone around that knows how to fix them. They work in scrap yards because they are built heavy, there is plenty of profit margin to pay to keep them running and there are usually plenty of extra machines around while they sit waiting for parts. The European mind set is completely different from the North American and Japanese when it comes to designing machines. It really shows in the products from Liebherr.
On their loaders, they have a swarf sensor. It basically looks for material shedding from pumps and motors. I don't recall ever seeing one in excavators. Would have been a good thing. They at least give you a forewarning of impending doom. That way you can possibly get ahead of it.
Do you care to elaborate on this? I have my ideas but I'd like to hear it from someone else. Also I kind of had the Japanese lumped in with the Europeans in my mind but I also recognize their differences.
I see Komatsù in the same vein as Liebherr in that regard. "We don't have to plan for major repairs, it shouldn't need them." As if to say, our stuff don't break. In all honesty, the push for more electronics, more compact machinery and more work from smaller platforms has made all manufacturers compete on a more level playing field. I am growing to appreciate the valve bank that Komatsù uses. Similar to Liebherr, just not as complicated to run hydraulics. The germans just can't let something happen, it has to be regulated and monitored. One pwm valve to stroke the pump up and another to destroke. I wouldn't be surprised if they figure a way to regulate tank pressure with a PWM valve.
The bigger Liebherrs are built solid like the proverbial brick sh1thouse and have swarf/contamination sensors on every pump. Maintenance-wise they need someone to be on top of them all the time. You can't get away with simply changing oils & filters at the recommended intervals and that's your lot. I likes 'em.
welp aint even no point in me calling them then
They're solid machines. Be more worried about the elec side. They hyd side are all top components.
The company I work for has two 904 wheeled excavators. They are 2002ish so they are 16 to 17 years old. They work every day. One has the high side of travel speed out and is I am told about 15,000 to repair it. That one stays on site now. The other one had a electrical fault about 2 years ago and set the park brake. Our wrench raced out there and had it up in a couple hours. Beyond those events and the usual leaks and hose issues and other wear items in the last 4 years they just keep on keeping on. I love the things for handling barrier rail, Johns observation about them being heavy is true. They will perform on rubber when our other machines are on the stabilizers.