Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 Worn swivel joint

George Goetzinger · 2023-02-21 21:16

My cat 312 (6GK01600) 14000 hour machine was having some low power on the left side track. Would track straight but not much for turning. Had a friend do some pressure checks, was in spec so decided to reseal the swivel. Got it out tonight seals look fine and haven’t turned rock hard yet. Looks like it has been resealed at some point in its life. However I found some wear marks inside the swivel. My question is what is acceptable? Could this be causing my issue? Do I need to dig deeper? Pictures aren’t the best but I did the best I could.

Replies5
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-02-21 22:25

    Can you catch a nail on it

  2. #2George Goetzinger2023-02-21 22:41

    Unfortunately yes.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2023-02-21 22:44

    Personally if it where mine I'd give it a good polish and see if it fit the bore good if it doesn't id be finding a new swivel witch you may end up doing anyway When we got the 312 b the swivel only had the very top seal in it it wouldn't track over a smashed pop can. It looked as the the seals where either removed early on or never installed at the factory.

  4. #4John C.2023-02-22 09:51

    General rule of thumb, if you can feel it, it needs to be repaired. You can get the wear surfaces on the center section built up by any place that re-chromes cylinder rods.

  5. #5George Goetzinger2023-02-22 14:43

    Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a used one this morning should have it by the end of the week hopefully back together this weekend.