Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 312B Water Pump

mrh1966 ยท 2015-03-31 07:09

Hi all, I have this machine on an island in the Bahamas. Last time I was out there the water pump started to squeal a little. I noticed it was loosing a bit of water as well. I have looked on line and found that the pump has a bearing in it. Questions- is it easy to change bearing i.e any special tools etc.............if bearing has gone would it leak water or have I got a leak else where? I didn't have time to look at it much before I left last time as it started when I was parking up the machine to come back to the UK. Any help would be much appreciated....Cheers

Replies3
  1. #1Mobiltech2015-03-31 08:06

    The water pump on that is belt drive and has an idler pulley with ball bearing that like to fail. I would look and make sure the belt is tight and the idler pulley turns freely. Look around the weep hole in the pump for a leak. If its leakng at the water pump you are better off to just get a reman pump from Cat and bolt it on.

  2. #2mrh19662015-03-31 08:14

    Cheers Mobiltech, I think you have just answered my question. New pump is easier!! As you say they do a re manufactured pump from CAT so I will get one and take it out with me. Will i need anything else with it?

  3. #3Mobiltech2015-04-02 23:46

    I would take a belt and the tensioner pulley too or at least the ball bearings for the tensioner. They are easy to change.