Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312BL torque specs

Hanco ยท 2016-02-02 21:56

i'm trying to find out torque specs for track shoes? replacing the chains on this and cant find the specs in the repair book. Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2016-02-03 04:25

    175 +/- 30 ft. lbs. Make sure you remove all the paint from under the shoes and on top of the chains before installing the shoes or they will come loose no matter how well you tighten them.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-02-03 13:06

    No torque/turn? I'm shocked....

  3. #3Nige2016-02-03 14:42

    Usually only on master link bolts, and generally on machines far bigger than this toy, the bolts are only 16mm (5/8") diameter. Also the excavator has a master pin as opposed to a croc link.

  4. #4Hanco2016-02-04 09:09

    thanks Nige... while I couldn't find the torque specs in the disassembly and assembly section of the book, yesterday while looking for something else in the book I came across it in the operation and maintenance section and it does say M16 track shoe bolts 125+ or - 30 plus an extra 1/3 turn

  5. #5Nige2016-02-04 09:17

    What document reference are you looking at..? Should be four letters followed by four digits. It will be either on the front or back cover of the manual you're taking the info from, i.e. the O&M Manual. Each individual manual in the binder will have a different reference number.

  6. #6Hanco2016-02-04 09:33

    the one that I found it in is form senr2874.... and the dis and ass section was senr9235

  7. #7Nige2016-02-04 10:58

    SENR2874 no longer exists, so the information contained in the paper manual you have has to be regarded with a certain amount of suspicion. Having said that though, 125 + 1/3 of a turn is probably going to get you to around 175 anyway, so the choice of how to torque is down to you. I guess it would be interesting to do the torque-turn procedure on a few shoes and then see what torque you have on the bolts. I hope you are using all new hardware.......

  8. #8Hanco2016-02-04 13:16

    Yes all new hardware new chains and sprockets old pads.......my out dated book calls for 390lb ft torque on sprocket bolts is this correct or has it changed ?

  9. #9Nige2016-02-04 14:36

    I'll have to check. Stand by. Is that specification from the same manual as the track shoe bolt torque..?

  10. #10Hanco2016-02-04 15:02

    Yes same book

  11. #11Nige2016-02-04 15:55

    You are talking about the bolts that hold the sprocket ring to the final drive output flange, right..? (I'm assuming you have a single sprocket ring, not segments) The SENR9235-01 D&A Manual that I'm looking at calls for 200+/-30 ft. lb. plus red Loctite on the 15 bolts that hold the sprocket ring to the final drive flange. Remember they are only 16mm diameter. You never mentioned a Serial Number. I don't think it'll make a difference but it wouldn't hurt just to confirm it.

  12. #12Hanco2016-02-04 19:07

    Yes those are the bolts . My book did call for the loctite but the 390lb torque seemed awfully high ..... After torquing the pad bolts to 125lb and turning them 1/3 of a turn , I found that it took over 400lb ft to move them using a torque wrench which was surprising

  13. #13Nige2016-02-05 04:18

    Surprises me too, I wouldn't have thought it would be that high, but then again M16 is a coarse thread so that could have something to do with it. Maybe there was a switch from fine to coarse threads at some time. 125 + 1/3 of a turn on a fine thread bolt would not give a torque anywhere near 400.