Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 312C – No swing, Backup Alarm, or 2 speed Travel

HemlockNW ยท 2017-06-08 14:33

I fired up my 312C (7000hrs) and after warm up found that I had no swing. After further investigation I noticed that the travel alarm was not sounding, and the 2 speed travel function was not working. All other hydraulic functions seem to be working as normal, including travel in slow speed. When I try to swing, it sounds like the motor labors but cab doesn't swing at all (like the swing break is not relasing). Tried shutting off and starting later but no luck. I was thinking maybe Swing break solenoid, or pressure switch, but the loss of alarm and travel functions makes me think it might be something else... Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks in advance!

Replies15
  1. #1HemlockNW2017-06-08 21:13

    P.S. I just discovered that the swing does work if i switch on the "back up mode" switch.

  2. #2DEMLONE702017-06-09 07:48

    swing pressure swith and travel pressure switch

  3. #3HemlockNW2017-06-09 13:27

    Ok thanks. Picking up the switches now. They are $80 a pop. Just dawned on me. Could it possibly be the pilot pressure and not the switches?

  4. #4DEMLONE702017-06-09 13:30

    How much is pilot pressure ? Did check the harness out ?

  5. #5HemlockNW2017-06-09 14:11

    Not sure how to check pilot pressure? But would like to know. Will check harness. Should I just look for 12v (or 24v) on one of the wires to the switches. Should there only be powere when I try to swing the machine?

  6. #6DEMLONE702017-06-09 14:15

    put a jumper in place of the switches

  7. #7HemlockNW2017-06-09 17:49

    Verified that power is getting to both switches so went ahead and replaced them both. This fixed the 2 speed and back up alarm problems, but the swing still doesn't work. I am assuming the problem isn't the solenoid because I have swing in back up mode. Thinking maybe pilot pressure is low. Does anyone know how to test the pressure and or how to adjust it? Thanks....

  8. #8DEMLONE702017-06-10 12:02

    Do u have power on the brake solenoid ? In back up u have always power on the solenoid Pilot pressure will be ok as you can swing in back up mode Do u have pressure gauge ? Whats the serial number ?

  9. #9Mobiltech2017-06-10 14:56

    Does it swing when travelling now that you've replaced the travel pressure switch. If so you may need to replace the implement pressure switch too. The ecm is looking for a pressure signal before it unlocks the swing brake.

  10. #10HemlockNW2017-06-10 15:14

    After replacing the pressure switches the travel was intermittent but still no swing. I went ahead and ran the machine for a while in back up mode. Once everything was up to temp, I switched off of back up mode and everything worked normally for the rest of the day. I'll check it out again this afternoon and see what happens when cold vs. warm.

  11. #11HemlockNW2017-06-10 18:15

    Sure enough..........Started it up, still no swing or 2 speed travel. Ran it for about 20min in backup mode checking occasionally to see is functions would work out of back up mode. Then after 20min everything started working. Totally stumped. Any ideas? Serial #CAT0312CPCBA01924

  12. #12John C.2017-06-10 19:38

    You need to check for codes on the monitor panel. If there is an electrical problem it will show up in the the diagnostics.

  13. #13HemlockNW2017-06-10 19:50

    So this machine is sorta new to me. When I try to get to codes/service stuff on the dash panel it asks for a pin which I don't have. Any way around that?

  14. #14John C.2017-06-10 23:19

    The code is FFF2.That will take you to the service area where you use the arrows at the bottom of the panel to cycle through active codes, logged codes, active event and logged events. Once you records any codes you can shut off the key to get out of that section or run the curser back to the top to exit. Press the button above the check mark to go to the home screen. There is a bunch of other stuff in there that you don't want to play with unless you have a book and some experience with the system.

  15. #15HemlockNW2017-06-11 22:46

    Thank you, I found an active error of 69: 168-03. Sounds like a power supply issue? Too much voltage? Any ideas on how to fix. Thanks