Hello all, very new here hopefully will be able to find some advice!, I have inherited a Cat 312c Excavator, it`s been lying for about a year, batteries were dead so replaced them with new ones, display panel comes on with ignition but no life when turning key to start position, what do I start to look for?? many thanks in advance
Start with the easy stuff check battery cables both at battery and starter and alternator and check grounds. Sitting for a while and an older machine is ideal conditions for corrosion and rat/squirrel nests. Check fuses and circuit breakers. Starter solenoid could have crapped out, rats could have chewed on wiring, etc. while you are at it check for nests and such in the air cleaner. Don’t want to get it started only to have big nest FOD the engine.
If you want an electrical schematic to assist in troubleshooting the starting system it will need a machine Serial Number.
A year is not that long, it should be able to start without too much digging. When you turn the key to start, do you get any noise? and does the display continue to stay on, or does it go out? With a no crank, no start like this, I like to start at the battery with a volt meter while somebody turns the key, or use test leads to sit in the cab and watch the voltage. Then move to the starter big terminal and see if you have voltage there, then the small wire on the solenoid. Divide the problem and you'll figure out where to go next. If the battery voltage is fine at the battery and solenoid while turning the key, and you get nothing from the small solenoid wire, then you NEED the schematic from Nige.
All the above is good info. I will usually go to the diagnostics in the monitor panel if I know that there are good batteries in the machine. I also look for some history on the machine. Why has it been parked for a year? Were there any issue at the last usage? What is the machine generally used for? Utilities, general excavation, forests, land clearing and so on. Here is a video that will show you how to access the diagnostics in the monitor panel.
all that above is good. sometimes it is the safety lever, be sure to cycle that a few times. It's just part of the KISS list.
Hello all Thanks for your swift replies, I will have a look at all the things mentioned to start with, not sure about the serial number will check, the machine was running with no problems when it was parked I was actually there the last time it was running, it belonged to my cousin (who is sadly no longer with us) it was mainly used for general farm work & occasional house sites, it has quite low hours around 3100., I remember the safety lever sometimes not working and the machine would carry on working with the lever in the Safe position, will check all above probably not until the weekend though, Thanks again for all your help so far
Best of luck with that. I was as close as the Yorkshire Dales last week