Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can hard fuel line be cut and flared?

Jim Johnson ยท 2022-08-30 13:33

Had stick get into undercarriage of track loader and damaged fuel lines. I ordered a new flexible line and valve however curious if I can cut and flare the hard line without having to replace it also?

Replies6
  1. #1Jim Johnson2022-08-30 13:36
  2. #2Coaldust2022-08-30 22:08

    Yeah. Sure can.

  3. #3materthegreater2022-08-30 22:09

    I tried that with a steel power steering line. The line had a seam on the inside so wouldn't seal on the flare fitting. Used a compression fitting instead and it sealed right up.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2022-09-01 09:24

    Difference is pipe vs tubing

  5. #5John C.2022-09-01 10:12

    I've used double flare tooling in order to make some of that stuff work. For some reason it doesn't split the seam open.

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-09-01 13:27

    I know when bending larger tubing that has a seam you have to put the seam on the inside of the bend. If the seam is on the outside the seam will often open up. Flaring probably doesn't stretch the tubing as much and all the tubing is being stretched and compressed the same.