Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312E slow tracking on one side, (just started)

Cat 312E · 2023-10-15 10:10

Hi people, would much appreciate any answers to this problem. I am an owner operator and I’ve just had to park my excavator up on Friday. The machine started to track a little slower on the left hand track with the idlers at the front. It’s doing this forward and reverse, it is also reducing the revs of the engine when I move the tracking levers. The machine also seems to be struggling when I’m operating the arm also, especially when crowding or opening the bucket. I have taken out the Hydrolic return filter and put it into a clean tub already to check for any steel particles, but the oil is clean as a whistle. The machine feels like there is something leaking internally. I hear a bit of a hissing noise coming from between the arms of the dipper would all this relate to the central swivel point? Seals ect? Many thanks in advance for any questions.

Replies44
  1. #1Nige2023-10-15 10:34

    Please post a Serial Number for those people who want to look up technical information.

  2. #2Cat 312E2023-10-15 10:58

    The excavator is cat 312E 2012 and the serial number is PZL00160

  3. #3Nige2023-10-17 11:37

    Is there any way you can swap the travel motor hoses between the LH & RH sides and see if the problem changes sides or stays on the LH side.? Have you cut the filter open yet.? See this LINK if you have never done one before. Also how many hours are on the machine.

  4. #4Cat 312E2023-10-17 13:16

    Hi Nige, there is a fitter coming out to it before the weekend. I will try and get him to cross the Motors and see what happens. I have taken out the return filter as I say but didn’t cut it open, but the oil was clean that came out of the filter. There is 13,900 hours on it.

  5. #5heymccall2023-10-17 13:31

    It's an E model. Go into the monitor, service mode, and find the screen with pump pressures. Then, stall bucket curl and see 1 pumps max, the stall stick in and see other pump max. Then stall both. What are the pressures? No, better yet, go into service mode and convey all fault and event codes to us.

  6. #6heymccall2023-10-17 14:23

    Has the 384-8512 inline screen fuel filter ever been changed? I got bit with that one on my 930K machine (it was hidden inboard off the frame rail).

  7. #7heymccall2023-10-17 14:30

    And, at NO point should you "cross the lines" or do anything mechanical until the codes and events have been read. The bit of kit that makes up the computer system can convey all kinds of info to direct us as to where to look for the issue. On an E, the code is 9992, but, don't go changing any parameters, NONE. Just go in and get fault and event codes first. The "bogging the engine" part makes me think fuel first, as the computer protocol is to keep the engine in its operating RPM range, even going so far as to fully derate the hydraulics rather than stumble the engine. Again, once codes are conveyed, we'll know better where to start.

  8. #8heymccall2023-10-17 15:39

    As for tracking, quick and dirty final drive motor side to side balance test.... Travel with both pedals, AND, while traveling, lightly stall bucket in carry (curl) position, while traveling. Normal operation is one pump per travel motor. Any time an upstairs function is utilized, both travel motors become Tee'd off of one pump. Heck you could boom up or stall the stick. Any upstairs function.

  9. #9Cat 312E2023-10-18 07:16

    Yes I have tried the travel test and with both pedals push forward and with the bucket crowded the machine starts to travel straight again. What does this suggest please?

  10. #10Cat 312E2023-10-18 07:18

    Yes, I change that little fuel strainer cartridge filter every 500 hours. It’s recently just had a full service to. Water separator and main fuel filter has been done.

  11. #11Mobiltech2023-10-18 08:30

    That travel test tells you that one pump has low output.

  12. #12Cat 312E2023-10-18 08:33

    I have just done the bucket curl test and this is the pressure

  13. #13Cat 312E2023-10-18 08:33

    Then I tried to do the stick in test by drawing the arm in and holding it, but the machine just bogs down and cuts out altogether

  14. #14Cat 312E2023-10-18 08:34

    This is the stick in pic just b4 it bogged the engine

  15. #15Cat 312E2023-10-18 08:44

    As for the fault codes there is a couple old ones due to a fault fuel pump relay that was replaced a wile back. But there is a data link fault that keeps on popping up? Anyone know what that is for?

  16. #16Cat 312E2023-10-18 08:59

    Would that suggest that one of the pumps is shot then?

  17. #17Cat 312E2023-10-18 10:41
  18. #18heymccall2023-10-18 14:47

    One more quick and easy test. Put machine in "backup mode", use toggle for throttle up until max rpm. Now travel without using upstairs function. Does it travel straight? If so, the PRV needs adjusted/ calibrated/ repaired. By placing the machine in backup mode, PRV becomes fixed value (70% of power, IIRC).

  19. #19Cat 312E2023-10-18 16:05

    I have tried tracking both ways and the machine is pulling to one side, as the left track is slow. Any idea why the machine bogged down and cut out when doing the stick pressure test?

  20. #20Cat 312E2023-11-05 16:15

    All sorted guys it was a controller issue at the side of the hydraulic pump 1. Run loose inside see picture! This was keeping the swashplate open!

  21. #21Cat 312E2023-11-05 16:17

    We have sorted it mate it was the controller at the side of pump won the swash controller came loose inside and came off the thread.

  22. #22masterwelder2023-11-19 15:28

    I had the same thing happen on a 315CL

  23. #23Cat 312E2023-11-19 16:48

    nightmare to diagnose but well happy with not having to buy new pumps!

  24. #24Mahadi2025-04-24 00:07

    Hello I need hydraulic pump sbs80 piping pdf anyone help

  25. #25Jones4182025-12-27 08:33

    Where is this located at ? Need to check mine to see if it’s done the same thing

  26. #26masterwelder2025-12-27 10:05

    On what model and what serial number?

  27. #27Jones4182025-12-27 20:05

    It’s a 312b not sure where the serial number is located

  28. #28Jones4182025-12-27 20:06

    It’s a 98 312B serial plate is missing, why I couldn’t find it lol

  29. #29Gary Layton2025-12-28 20:29

    My CAT 320C (year 2006) has a SN plate on the cab...but I also discovered the SN stamped into the metal frame, rear area, vertical surface below the cab. I found it when pressure washing it and using a bright flashlight under the machine. Yours might be stamped into the metal frame, too.

  30. #30Jones4182025-12-29 10:05

    Thanks I’ll see if I can find it on mine

  31. #31heymccall2025-12-29 12:50

    Assuming original engine, the engine serial number (on the valve cover) will take us to the chassis serial number.

  32. #32Johhnycanuck2025-12-29 13:47

    Whats your p1 and p2 discharge pressures at high idle, safety lever in the run position, and all functions in neutral?

  33. #33Jones4182025-12-29 14:10

    Yeah that’s where I came up with the model of the machine at it’s a 98 but not sure on the serial number

  34. #34Nige2025-12-29 14:39

    So in that case what’s the engine Serial Number.?

  35. #35Jones4182025-12-29 17:53

    Will look to see tomorrow, having issues with booming out and tracking one side it bogs it down and will kill the machine if held down .

  36. #36Jones4182025-12-30 20:07

    Found the serial number 9HR05209

  37. #37Jones4182025-12-30 20:09

    Found the serial number 9HR05209

  38. #38Nige2025-12-30 20:12

    Interesting. A grey market machine originally intended for sale only in the Japanese internal market. Were you aware of that.?

  39. #39Jones4182025-12-30 20:37

    Yes I knew that when I purchased it. Just trying to get it up to speed with an English manual. Have a manual with it but it’s Japanese lol

  40. #40Nige2025-12-30 20:49

    There are equivalent "World" models to a 9HR machine. For your Serial Number (built 7th July 2000) you could use 3FS00389 (built 11th July 2000) for all technical information. A Service Manual for that machine would be Cat Publication reference SENR9220. If you want an English Parts Manual search for XEBP7665.

  41. #41Jones4182025-12-30 21:15

    Thank you sir , I really don’t understand why it’s called a grey market machine when most of the excavators are made in Japan anyways?

  42. #42Nige2025-12-30 21:18

    Don't ask me. I just provide the technical information.

  43. #43Jones4182025-12-30 21:23

    Ok, I appreciate the help

  44. #44B&B2025-12-31 01:07

    I ran into a similar issue on a 315bl, the governor for the pump was stuck. I was able to remove the cover and get it moving and everything started working properly. The governor for the outer pump I was working on was on the left side of the pump looking at it. There was a small hose, probably -4 jic going from the valve body sections to each governor which made it easy to identify.