Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 313F

Ryan43 · 2025-01-21 10:07

We have a Cat 313 excavator that we use in the marine industry. We run a plate compactor with it. While we are using the compactor, we have no boom control. My question is, can we do something to this machine to make the boom work while we’re using the auxiliary hydraulics? If not, what model 313 would I need to get?? Model and serial numbers are in the photo above.

Replies15
  1. #1CM19952025-01-21 10:36

    Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you. Not familiar with the 313's but you should be able to work the plate and boom at the same time. We can run a hammer on a 325FL and 325 NG and still have full boom function. Also have a plate compactor for a 305 NG that can be ran with all the boom function as well.

  2. #2DEMLONE702025-01-21 11:45

    How much flow needs the plate ?

  3. #3Ryan432025-01-21 12:08

    Unfortunately, once we begin to use the compactor the boom stops.

  4. #4Ryan432025-01-21 12:08

    I'll have to look on the compactor.

  5. #5Chrisso2025-01-22 14:58

    I'm not convinced you can't... yet. F series had a lot of options available. Your machine shipped with " 451-1828 CONTROL AR-AUXILIARY -CMB FCTN, HYD CONT, ELEC RLF" which is promising. This should give you the option to play with work tool flow rates and change priority settings in the Service menu of the monitor. Maybe someone here has more intimate experience with these machines as I really don't. Have you been through the Service menu in the monitor? As a starting point we need to know how much flow the plate needs as DEMLONE70 suggested. Dumb question... do these things need one way or two way flow?

  6. #6TVA2025-01-22 16:17

    I don’t think you using standard auxiliary function. Things like you described usually happens when people tap in to main pump lines with “hammer valve”! It’s happening a lot! And that’s dumb!!! If you need more grow - install separate PTO pump, those “hammer valve” set ups never work!!! There should be no “tap ins” between main pumps discharge ports and DCV “in” ports. If you have anything “tapping in” - that’s your problem! Or check priority settings, like Chrisso said.

  7. #7Ryan432025-01-22 16:27

    It's a Stanley plate compactor. Model HSX11125S Serial 111-270 It needs 30-60 GPM We will try again to play with the options. It's one way to the compactor and back to the machine. Thanks!

  8. #8Ryan432025-01-22 16:29

    We haven't tapped into anything. Just hooked into the auxillary lines on the boom that came with it. We're getting an estimate to add an additional pump to the machine. Thanks for the input!

  9. #9TVA2025-01-22 16:29

    Is it new to you machine?

  10. #10Nige2025-01-22 16:36

    Do you have access to information to help guide you through the available options for the hydraulic system tool settings.?

  11. #11Ryan432025-01-22 16:37

    Yes sir. New to us. We've had it about 9 months. We will check the auxiliary as you suggested.

  12. #12Ryan432025-01-22 16:38

    Yes sir. So far nothing we've done has helped. That's why I'm reaching out here.

  13. #13TVA2025-01-22 16:38

    If it has “tap in” - just get rid of it. 330 should give you what you need through standard auxiliary, I think. But I’m not a CAT guy. Nige will be the best man for that

  14. #14TVA2025-01-22 16:40

    Sorry, that was 313. Now I’m not sure. Ask Nige.

  15. #15Nige2025-01-22 16:44

    I'm not the excavator tool guy. I just wanted to make sure that you have access to all the information yo need to play around with the settings. Maybe this might be a curve ball but I see that even the main implement hydraulic system on the 313F only has a maximum flow capacity of 67 gallons/254 litres per minute. if your compactor requires up to 60 gallons per minute, even if it is as low as 30 gpm, you might just be backing a loser........