Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco sk160 manual override screw location

mechanicotl · 2025-01-21 17:50

Hello everyone, I'm doing a manual throttle conversion on a customers log loader, I spoke with a few other machanics who know more about these machines than I. I was told each pump has an adjustment that allows the pumps to operate in manual mode "approx 70% pump flow" I am not finding any adjusters as what they described. I'm not sure what generation this machine is. The pumps are kawasaki k3v63dtp. Backstory: The pumps were not stroking up at all. I verified P1 and P2 sensors were ok. Ohmed wires between P1,P2 and mechantro. Wires ohmed good with no continuity to ground. In the manual I noticed 2 wires to P1 were backwards "owner had recently respliced some bad wires and got them backwards" I corrected this. Machine ran good for a day then pumps wouldn't stroke and machine will not idle up. Assuming the mechantro is on the fritz. This thing is an old duct taped piece of junk. The screen is destroyed from water damage, "all the windows are broken out" owners don't have money to buy parts for it so we opted for manual throttle. Hoping I can figure something out so they can get to work, then maybe i can get paid and get this nightmare off my back.

Replies6
  1. #1TVA2025-01-21 18:06

    I’m not aware about any screws. The only thing those things might have is a bypass switch. Which will put EPPRV in the constant state of the partial load. If they are not loading up - check the feed from the Pilot circuit, to EPPRV circuit ( or torque limiter/ power shift as KPM calls it). That’s on hydraulic side of things, maybe you are “stuck up” on the electronic side, and “barking up the wrong tree” I’m not really a Kobelco guy, but Sumitomos ( Case, Link Belt, etc.) had some solenoids reducing the pressure of that feed before its even gets to EPPRV, depending on the models and modes selected. Or you can buy cheap PWM controller, bypass Mecatronic controls, and hook up EPPRV through it. But you still need the pressure from the pilot circuit to control the whole thing. Anyway - it’s been too long since I’ve been involved in those things, and my brain is getting old.

  2. #2TVA2025-01-21 18:15

    If they not loading up at all - check the pilot and “stand by” pressure. Maybe you’ve lost a coupler. My friend once used some rheostat off of the car from junk yard, to get the Link Belt going for a few days, that was actually working in the same junk yard.

  3. #3TVA2025-01-21 18:37

    I don’t know what “mark” or generation is your machine. If you talking “mechatrol” it’s a little bit newer. The previous generation called it KPSS. On 160 that KPSS bypass switch showed on the panel behind the operators seat. In Sumitomos it’s usually on the back or bottom of the right arm rest. On Hyundais/Doosans they are in the panel on the left support of the operator seat.

  4. #4TVA2025-01-21 18:43

    Whatever shape of the machine you described - it seems it is at junkyard, or some other type of small recycling company .

  5. #5TVA2025-01-21 20:27

    Hmm. Maybe by that “screw” They meant minimum displacement screw? But I doubt it it’ll give you 70%. With minimum displacement screw turned all the way in on both pumps, you will effectively turn variable displacement pumps in to fixed displacement pumps. Where it’ll get you - not sure. Probably will be overloading the engine and building up heat in hydraulic system fast. Minimum displacement screws are below regulator. At the ends of the pumps. In DTP, the ones I circled should be them

  6. #6TVA2025-01-21 21:14

    Sorry! I’ve messed up DTP wit DP. On DTP one Will be looking towards engine, it’s the one sitting the lowest. And another looking right at you, when you look from the pump bay door