I'm having an issue with my 314 cat I thought it was an alternator problem so bought a new one and put on also replaced the batteries and still same issue.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Do you have a multi meter and know how to use it? Check the voltage running, it should be around 14V (double if 24V system), then after it's run for at least an hour, or you've charged the batteries, disconnect the ground connectors so the batteries won't drain, they should be 12.6 or a little higher, then check again before you hook them up the next time you want to use it, the batteries should still be 12.6 or so, if they're less than 12 they're bad. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, what are they doing specifically? What have you tried so far besides the alt and batteries? and how about a serial number for the cat people?
Also have you tried turning the master switch off when the machine is shut down with the batteries charged.? Does it still discharge the batteries then.?
I turn the master off every time I get done
So it shows around 26v but the static wire cat said should have like 7v but it shows none but the previous owner ran a secondary wire that does have a 7v reading on it but if I hook that secondary wire up it doubles the alternator to around 48v
Once I charge the batteries with jumper cables it will run a couple hours then the machine will just stop from batteries being run down
Welcome to the Forums L221! Glad to have you. You have some knowledgable members helping you out. Post the serial # of the machine as there are many different variants of a 314. Great machine BTW. I'd love to have one to augment our 321 and 325. A 314 is small enough to put on a tag where the 321 and 325 require a lowboy.
Definitely going to need a serial number. Also what part number alternator did you purchase and did it come from cat? And the static wire you talk about, what is the wire color and number of the original if you can tell?
Can't tell it's a older machine and yes the alternator came from cat
Serial number pca01092
The 309 gray wire connected to the R terminal, gets its power from the 5a alternator fuse, which gets its power from the timer relay. The timer relay is supplied with battery power and does not note that output is any less. You can test the 110 green wire at the timer relay and see what output actually is. Timer relay is #27 in second image.
Appreciate all the help going to check all that out the next day or so and I'll get back with yall.