Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 315 blue smoke after flood

muller ยท 2014-08-18 11:58

Hello I have a cat 315 the machine was working very good with normal smoke then got flooded for a day I pull thr water out of the engine bye taking of the nozzles and drain the water I change the oil, machine starts fine but with alot of blue smoke any ideas what shoul I do I just had the engine running for 10 or 20 mins max thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2014-08-18 13:27

    What exactly do you mean by "Got flooded"..? Do you mean the engine or the machine was under water..? If it was underwater was the engine running at the time..? You say you changed the oil but did you also change the engine oil, fuel, & air filters..?

  2. #2muller2014-08-18 14:14

    315 flooded blue smoke yes the machine got complitely flooded including the engine but tje machine was not running y changed oil filter air and fuel filter the oistons pistons had water between the head and the piston but I removed th3 nozzles and try to start the machine to get the water out also I add to each piston a little od gasoline and diesel to try to clean, the day after I started the engine ut runs fine except por the blue smoke thanks

  3. #3muller2014-08-18 14:18

    yes the machine got complitely flooded including the engine but tje machine was not running y changed oil filter air and fuel filter the oistons pistons had water between the head and the piston but I removed th3 nozzles and try to start the machine to get the water out also I add to each piston a little od gasoline and diesel to try to clean, the day after I started the engine ut runs fine except por the blue smoke thanks

  4. #4old-iron-habit2014-08-18 14:29

    After running it a few minutes I would drain the oil again and get the rest of the water out. It may take a while to clean up. Of it does not watch to see if it is burning oil and that will tell the story. Don't forget to call your insurance man before you do to much. Might affect your claim.

  5. #5Nige2014-08-18 14:44

    As above. Run the engine for a while and get it up to full operating temperature. Exercise the machine a little and then stop the engine and drain oil and change filter again. As OIH says, it may take some hours of running before the exhaust finally cleans up, plus check how much oil it is burning. Your blue smoke may be as a result of the gasoline/diesel mixture washing the oil off the cylinder walls, maybe the piston rings will need some time to settle in again.