Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 315 CL fuel problems?

Super S · 2012-09-25 21:43

I have a 315 CL that runs great in the morning, but around lunch give or take two hours the engine will become weak as if it is starving for fuel. I have replaced filters, fuel line, cleaned the banjo screen and used an air compressor to blow through all the remaining fuel lines. It does not smoke and the air filters are clean. It is an 02 model with around 6500 hours. Please give me some more ideas as I've used all mine up. Am I even in the right ballpark? Or is there something else on these machines that will make it act like this?

Replies15
  1. #1Per Eriksson2012-09-26 16:02

    Did you remove and clean the inlet fitting on the water separator also, the elbow is known to collect things that shouldn't be there and most people just unhook the hose and blow them out forgetting the fitting itself.

  2. #2Super S2012-09-26 16:18

    I did take the elbows out everything else off the filter base to make sure nothing was in the base and Al's to check the o-rings.

  3. #3Per Eriksson2012-09-26 16:52

    Might be time for an governor and prv calibration then, both can be performed using the monitor.

  4. #4DGODGR2012-09-26 19:46

    I have also heard of computer problems in these units. A competitor of mine had to replace his computer. I have percieved loss of power and speed in the afternoons on mine. I have feared the computer may be suspect, but I lean more towards my false perceptions. My motor does not bog down though.

  5. #5Super S2012-09-26 19:49

    I'll give that a try when it starts acting up again. Today I was loading my truck running it at the most 20 minutes at the time and then I would cut it off for about 45 minutes while I delivered the load and it ran perfect all day long.

  6. #6Super S2012-09-26 19:58

    My machine is an 02 model. I do not think it has an ECM. I do hope that you don't have computer problems as I can imagine they are pricey.

  7. #7DGODGR2012-09-26 23:01

    All C models have ECM. It was part of the upgrade from B model. Mine is an '03. My ECM was re-flashed as a product update. Maybe you can see if your was too. I think ECM is $2,000. At least that's what the Cat shop foreman told me a few years back (he's the one who told me about the competitors ECM going bad). I still think my issue is more perception than an actual problem. Mine has about 5,500 hours on it so far. The speed controler has been giving me some intermittent problems lately. I had to switch from "auto" to "manual" the other day. It seemed to resolve itself after a few minutes. I'd say that I hate all the new fangled electronic stuff, that comes on machines these days, but that is probably the main reason why they work so much better than older models. I guess I'll just have to take the good with the bad.

  8. #8kbeen2012-09-27 21:35

    super s those machine do have a in-line filter screen where the fuel lines connects to the fuel transfer pump. you have to remove the line and the screen is threaded into the end of the special bolts. i have seen many of them just plugged with trash. here is a picture of it. also check that the vent it your fuel tank cap is not getting plugged up. they will run ok for a while and then start straving the engine for fuel after a few hrs. of operation.

  9. #9Super S2012-09-28 20:02

    Great idea on the fuel cap, as that seems logical with it messing up in the afternoon every day. I have already tried the inline filter if it is only one one on the machine. I'm waiting for it to act up again as for the past few days it has been perfect. Funny how a machine will make you crazy with a problem until you get ideas to check and then it will run great. It has given me problems for a couple of weeks with me trying everything only to see it get weak each afternoon, then when I ask for advice it runs like it should so I really can't say what the problem or the fix was.

  10. #10Austin Jackson2022-06-04 06:28

    Did you ever find the issue? Mine is doing the same exact thing.

  11. #11Super S2022-06-04 08:47

    I did get the issue fixed because I still have this machine and it’s running perfectly. But I can’t remember what I did to it to fix it.

  12. #12Austin Jackson2022-06-04 23:10

    Just wanted to reply to this thread for the next guy. I dropped the belly pan under the fuel tank, removed the feed hose coming off the tank and checked the flow out the tank. It was nearly completely blocked. Removed the shutoff valve, stuck a piece of wire up the hole and fuel came rushing out. Machine ran great the rest of the day.

  13. #13Nige2022-06-04 23:39

    Did you try draining all the dirt & sediment out of the bottom of the tank while you were at it.? That's probably where the material blocking your fuel line came from in the first place.

  14. #14Austin Jackson2022-06-04 23:44

    The tank was nearly full. So I’ll wait until it’s close to empty to drain and flush it. The filters should do their job, the sediment particles were pretty large.

  15. #15Nige2022-06-05 00:02

    There ought to be a ball valve right next to the shutoff valve for the fuel line that you were into before. You can open it then close it again as soon as the fuel runs clear. You shouldn't have to drain the tank.