Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 315 excavator starts then shuts down

rtbill ยท 2021-04-02 17:48

I have a 315 cat excavator that when I start it, it runs for 3 or 4 secs then dies... The last time It happen was when my fuel level was at 1/2 to 3/8 and after I filled it, she ran fine till it got back to 3/8 of a tank, Now that it's full it won't stay running at all..

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2021-04-02 18:02

    Sounds like the fuel stop solenoid. There is ZERO way to assist further without a serial number.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2021-04-02 21:31

    What engine and inj pump type.?? Pictures.??

  3. #3alaskaforby42021-04-03 00:35

    could be something in the tank, have had this happen. Gets sucked over the outlet, then floats off when shut down. Filling stirs it up for a bit. Worth a look anyway

  4. #4rtbill2021-04-03 07:33

    Ok great... Thanks for the info, I will try this today and let you know

  5. #51466IH2021-04-03 07:56

    Ser# is must have info for us to be able to help you any further

  6. #6RPD2021-04-03 09:45

    I have seen this when I worked at CAT. also change filters and make sure you don't have high algae in tank or supply tank.

  7. #7361brock2021-04-03 10:29

    Lift pump worth a look, sign of failure would be shuts down with low fuel in tank. When ever it shuts down will be determined by the height of fuel tank relative to fuel pump, gravity comes into play. If that lift pump is a diaphram with spring type I bet the spring broke.

  8. #8heymccall2021-04-03 13:47

    Yea, but still no stupid serial number. Does it even have one of these?