Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 318BL MY2001 wiring confusion?

ROAMER_AUS ยท 2021-04-02 17:33

Hi all, I had a call out today with complaint that all functions on excavator are lost. No movement of any kind. So I come out and confirm. My first thing to check was pilot control solenoid. And sure, no voltage. Have a digram and on it it basically has a wire running from safety lever microswitch via one relay and straight to solenoid, checked voltage on switch, present, on relay present, but nothing on solenoid. So after trying to find a broken wire and failing to do so, I taught that bubbling of oil after I shut it down was a bit strange, so I have a look in the tank, and yup, nearly empty. Press pilot manifolt gauge attachment point with a screwdriver, and there is all air with spray of oil coming out. OK, so no oil, but why no voltage on the solenoid. Put in 50 litres of oil, and bang, voltage is back on the solenoid and all commands are back on. Now, the question is, do I have wrong diagram? Does this excavator shut down pilot hydraulics based on lack of pressure or level of oil in the tank? i wasn't able to find anything like that on my diagram or wires in the tank. Now I left in a bit of a rush so I didn't investigate further. Could someone explain this to me please? This is the diagram that I was using. Now please don't ask for serial number, plate is missing, but owner aparently has it somewhere and will try to find it.......doubtfull, but maybe he does.

Replies7
  1. #1Per Eriksson2021-04-02 17:45

    No such thing, atleast not Cat original but someone may have wired something in at some point.

  2. #2Nige2021-04-02 17:46

    Serial Number should be stamped on the same location of the upper frame where the "missing" S/N plate is located. RENR2922 which you posted above is listed as "not found". In other words it doesn't exist in the system anymore. There are 3 options of electrical schematic listed for 318BL: - RENR2923 - 318B: 3LR1-Up and 7KZ1-Up RENR3271 - 318B: ADC1-665 and AEJ1-467 RENR7932 - 318B: ADC666-Up and AEJ468-Up

  3. #3ROAMER_AUS2021-04-03 02:32

    OK, if there is no such thing, then it gets more confusing. I didn't notice any additional wiring, all factory. Unless it is hidden away somewhere. Then it is probably coincidence of a bad connection somewhere. I hate when something starts working and I don't know exactly what I did to make it work. i will have to investigate this further. Nige, I never got close enough to notice it was getting dark and I was in a hurry. I'll get that number today then and post it here. Thank you both on your advice!!!!

  4. #4ROAMER_AUS2021-04-03 05:44

    Got it. Serial number is ADC00695 Is it possible to obtain correct wiring diagram for this machine?

  5. #5Cmark2021-04-03 06:53

    Here you go

  6. #6ROAMER_AUS2021-04-03 07:09

    Awesome!!! Thanks Cmark, you little battler (21 years Ozzie here)

  7. #7ROAMER_AUS2021-04-04 05:16

    Thank you all for your help. Had a look at the diagram, and I can't figure out what would electrically stop pilot valve from operating if there is no oil. Oil is topped up in the machine and it is running. I can't drain it all just to satisfy my curiosity, so I think this will be one of those misteries that just..........are.....