Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 315CL Aux Hydraulic Schematics/Diagram Needed

D3DaveC ยท 2013-03-27 11:38

I have a 2005 Cat 315CL and would like to add aux hydraulics for a hyd thumb. If I had a few pics to go by it would be easier. I've heard aux hydraulics can cost $12000? How can that be as it seems there is nothing much there? Should I buy pipe and have it bent to fit the boom or buy from Cat? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2013-03-27 13:03

    First up, what is the Serial Number of the machine..? If you don't want to post the full S/N here then PM it to me. Depending on how the machine is currently configured you may need any or all of the following: - 1. Additional section(s) installed into the main control valve for the auxiliary function. I can see 2 possibilities, one priced at $6000, the other at $4200. 2. 2 x Floor-mounted pilot valves (pedals) to control the auxiliary function for the thumb. 3. Pilot hydraulic lines from the cab to the new section in the main control valve for the auxiliary function. 4. High-pressure hydraulic lines from control valve to base of boom. 5. High-pressure hydraulic lines from base of boom to end of stick. I can easily see how that lot could potentially add up to $12,000 complete, but a lot depends on how your particular machine is configured right now. If you are lucky enough to have a main control valve that already has a suitable section in it to run aux hydraulics it could cut the cost in half.

  2. #2mikebramel2013-03-27 23:21

    If it is low flow just for the thumb I would split off the bucket or dipper circuit with two solenoid valves and run it out that way. Hit a momentary switch on the floor or joystick to temporarily curl or extend the thumb

  3. #3ben46a2013-03-29 07:33

    3159 has an aux spool on the contol valve. You have to add the line relief valves to the valve body ( 600 each) a pedal or joystick and solenoid valve (500ish for pedal, 1200ish for joystick plus solenoid valve) plus all the connecting fittings and lines. Doesn't seem like much but there's a fair bit of work involved. You could look for a set of boom lines at a machine wrecking yard and piece together the rest of the system. But a kit for 12,000 isn't un reasonable once you've seen what's involved in installation.

  4. #4D3DaveC2013-03-29 20:54

    Thanks everyone for your help, I have some decisions to make for sure.

  5. #5DGODGR2013-03-31 16:02

    Try HKX in Washington for your auxiliaries on an excavator. What you need will also depend on what you want to run. For what it's worth, I had to replace one of the hard tubes on top of my boom (from the back of the dipper ram to the front end of the boom-1" tubing for auxiliary circuit). It was about 10' long. It cost $700 from Cat. (also for a 315CL).