Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 315CL no cab heat

Tags · 2021-01-07 19:56

Serial# CJC00625 So I’ve started doing some work for a local builder that had his own equipment and his own operator for the last 15 years or so. The guy that was operating for him moved and I have started working for the builder. If my machine is on another job I’ve been using some of his equipment. He has this Cat 315CL with 6900 hours or so, I know zero history and have zero knowledge as to the quirks it may have. I went to run it today and there is no heat, the HVAC panel shows the heat temp and the fan speed but alas, the fan does not come on. I did not have a chance to check anything like fuses and so on, the concrete guys were waiting to pour and I just needed to move a pile of fill out of the way so they could keep moving and noticed it wasn’t blowing at all. Any help as to what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2021-01-07 21:15

    To prove the "no heat" part, are both coolant lines warm when at operating temperature. I suspect that they are based on your "fan doesn't come on" declaration. My money is on a failed blower motor.

  2. #2heymccall2021-01-07 21:15

    And

  3. #3Tags2021-01-08 11:49

    Thanks for that! It looks like someone has been into it before, most of the screws are missing from the panel behind the seat as well as some of the panels....

  4. #4Tags2021-01-11 19:47

    So, back to the 315 job today to check to see if concrete guys had stripped the forms, had some time and some tools, looked in the O&M book that was still cabled to the pocket behind the seat which was a pleasant surprise, found the fuse location, checked it, not blown, so I removed a couple of the remaining torx head bolts that were holding the back panel in place, got it so I could sort of see the blower motor, tapped it ever so lightly with the handle of the hammer that was standing up next to it, and she begrudgingly came back to noisy life, obviously it is not in the best shape and needs to be replaced, but alas, I will have heat tomorrow when I'm backfilling! Owner of the machine agrees it needs to be replaced. Anyone happen to have a part number handy? Thanks again Heymccall for the removal procedure.

  5. #5Nige2021-01-11 20:38

    The P/N of the blower motor is 147-4834 as far as I can see.

  6. #6Tags2021-03-09 19:05

    Thank you Nige and thank you heymccall, I finally got around to doing this today and now have a quiet consistently working blower motor. A bit of a pain with the seat left in place but went smooth with the part number and the disassembly instructions, thanks for taking the time to help, really appreciate it!