I've got a cat 315L with approximate 6200 hours that the drive motors are getting weak on it. I've had it about 400 hours and they are gradually getting worse. Everything else seems to be up to par but I always have to use my bucket and swing to help turn. A little bit better when the machine is cold but not much, where do I start looking for problems.
Does the machine drive OK in a straight line..? From your post it seems like you are having problems turning.
Any sort of up hill it slows way down, it doesn't gradually go one direction like I have one drive motor failing. They both seem to be getting weak. I can use my two speed on the level but that's it. Any sort of a ditch I have to pull myself up with the stick.
I was thinking if you had problems turning that maybe the seals in the centre swivel were on the way out. Judging by the symptoms you describe I'd be looking at either excessive case drain in the travel motors or maybe even the parking brakes not fully releasing. The centre swivel cannot be totally ruled out in that case.
Swivel seals Nige, those hoes since the core line all have float center travel spools. If you try powering one track and it leaks to the other side that is in neutral the oil can go straight to tank. Best way to check them out is drive them 100 yds/meters and then try to turn in a circle. If they stop they need seals. Later Bob
I'll give that a try, I was hoping on a simple pressure relief that wouldhave been too easy. I'll have to wait until I get it out of my job that's in the trees cleaning a creek to drive a straight line.