Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320C hydraulic oil in bellhousing

Bosvark Kzn ยท 2015-06-10 22:14

I recently bought a CAT 320C, it had a few problems and is currently in my workshop to refurbish. When we removed the starter, hydraulic oil poured out the bellhousing, quite a lot. I'm not very familiar with CAT excavators as this is my first CAT, but surely it shouldn't have hydraulic oil in the bellhousing? I suspect it's leaking hyd oil from the hyd pump into the bellhousing. Any advise will be apreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-06-10 22:23

    Yes it is, you may be able to reseal the pump input shaft. Later Bob

  2. #2Shimmy12015-06-10 23:37

    I'm not sure about Cats, but I know Komatsu uses an oil-filled pump drive. Just a thought.

  3. #3Bosvark Kzn2015-06-11 13:25

    Thank you Bob, Shimmy. If it is leaking on the shaft, is it possible to remove the the pump and replace the seal without having to strip the pump completely?

  4. #4Nige2015-06-11 13:58

    Depending on the pump, most likely yes. A Machine Serial Number would help to identify the exact type of pump you have. 320's are very common and there are multiple probabilities of pump.

  5. #5Bosvark Kzn2015-06-11 14:01

    Thanks Nige, the Machine Serial Number is: CAT0320CJANB03733

  6. #6Nige2015-06-11 15:10

    Here's a photo from the Service Manual showing how the Seal ref 4 is removed from the pump using tooling ref A. If you want the full procedure drop me a PM.

  7. #7Bosvark Kzn2015-06-11 15:33

    Thank you for your assistance so far, Nige. Pm sent

  8. #8Bosvark Kzn2015-06-28 14:07

    So I removed the hydraulic pump yesterday and replaced the seal on the shaft and also the "o"- ring. Today we started the machine and the hydraulics are good, but I noticed a few more problems. The throttle doesn't work, the throttle unit (step motor?) runs, but the cables doesn't move. I tried to open the unit, but failed. I also noticed engine oil bubbling between the engine block and cylinder head, it also has sump compression, so I think I'm in for an engine overhaul. Any advise or information ie. torque setting, valve clearence etc. will be much appreciated.