i got a dump truck with the 3176 cat engine that cranks but won’t start. I changed the 2 fuel filters and opened the air bleed plug and the truck then started and ran for about 30 min and shut off. I filled the reservoir tank for the coolant so I know the sensor not shutting engine down. I opened the outlet side of the transfer fuel pump to the ecm while cranking and fuel comes out. The priming pump gets hard while pumping so believe it’s good. With starting fluid the engine wants to start but dies. Removed one of the three valve covers and see two wires at each injector. Are both these wires hot or just one? I checked the fuses for the ecm and cat data link and they are hot on both sides. Anyone know what can cause this symptom. Can the speed timing sensor, oil pressure sensor by valve covers cause this? The injectors are opened by oil pressure right?
Engine serial number and ar number maybe helpfull so people can pull up correctinfo for you
It’s a 1994 3176 cat this might be serial all I could find on valve cover 9ck17074
That's (9CK17074) the Serial Number...... Built 13/12/1994. Arrangement Number 6I-2643.
Unscrewed the timing sensor and noticed the shaft was pushed in so I carefully pulled the shaft out and my dump truck started. Gunna go ahead and replace timing sensor and start there.
You may not have to replace it. It's a Hall Effect sensor that is effectively self-adjusting. Here is the procedure for setting it. 1. Remove the speed/timing sensor from the front gear cover. 2. Examine the plastic end of the sensor for signs of wear or contaminants such as metal filings. The plastic end of the speed/timing sensor should have no contaminants or show no wear [greater than 0.051 mm (.0020 in) from its face]. 3. Use a screwdriver to carefully pry the plastic sensor end to the Fully Extended position approximately 4.775 mm (.1880 in) beyond the metal housing of the sensor. 4. Gently push in on the plastic end of the sensor. The plastic end should be firm and resist movement. If there is no resistance when pressure is applied replace the sensor.
Can you check fuel pressure at the valve that on the fuel manifold? It has a plug for the air bleed on it so I took the plug off and put my gauge in there. This valve has an inlet port and the return port back to the tank. I couldn’t check it at the secondary fuel filter or at the tee on the ecm that has a hose coming from the transfer pump because I didn’t have the right fittings.