Cat 318 S/N 02225 Operator's panel in cab shows "Alt. not charging or the battery icon" The machine is over one-hundred miles from my site. The mechanic working on it had the job "given" to him after other mechanic put a new alternator in it. The mechanic working on it now has hooked up Cat ET and does not see any codes. The EID - Event Identifier displayed on the operator's panel is 179. My understanding reading the Cat manual for another piece of equipment is you have to delete the code - EID by accessing the operator's panel. Apparently you need the code to get into it. Cat dealer's Shop Foreman won't give it to us. The mechanic who replaced the alternator told the operator to "jump the positive terminal to the - I asume regulator (idiot light signal wire) to energize it. They've done this several times. The mechanic who was given the job now said our shop forman told him to "not do this to much" Apparently the alt. is now charging. How do we get rid of code on operator's panel (I believe its the security panel too). It's a pleasure to be part of this forum. Thank all of you.
AFAIK a customer verison of ET cannot delete Event Codes like the 179 to which you refer, they remain in the ECM for ever unless deleted by a dealer version of ET. However once you have the replacement alternator charging correctly then the light in the "alt not charging" icon on the panel should go out. The fact that it hasn't leads me to believe that there is still a problem with the charging circuit.
I thank you so much for helping - I've watched your replies for over a year. You know so much. I had the same "gut feeling" that more troubleshooting needs to be done if the EID doesn't disappear. I'll pass along to mechanic in remote location to continue checking wiring/connections. I will update. Thank you again, Sir.
If you want the document from which I got that information then please drop me a PM with your email address and the machine Serial Number.
I aplogize for not completing thread with what was the fix. Short and sweet of it is that the machanic who changed out bad (OEM original) alternator mixed up the two small wires - I believe this is a Prestolite alternator. Two weeks of field troubleshooting in hot SW Arizona sun outside for the person "thrown on the job" - some damege done to wiring. Thanks Nige for making me go the our Cat dealer's site for this machine. I a hundred miles out and trying to assist with repair. Thanks so much for your help a wonderful forum. Richard Beard