Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 318BL Final Drive Seal Replacement

Metalman 55 ยท 2021-07-06 16:29

The on final drive seal had been leaking lately on the 318, so we tore it apart today (had the new toric rings & duo-cone seals ready to to) & found the one ring had some cracks on it. I wonder if that is uncommon to have happen? Everything came apart ok luckily we had everything we needed for the repair.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2021-07-06 16:32

    It's very unusual for the ring to crack but not unknown. I hope you had a seal installer for one that big of a diameter.

  2. #2Metalman 552021-07-06 16:35

    We got everything back together, filled it with oil, ran it for a few minutes, then stuck a piece of plywood under for the night to check for leaks.........if all is good we will throw the sprocket on & reconnect the track in the morning.

  3. #3Metalman 552021-07-06 16:36

    We don't have one.........had to do it the red neck way.........keeping our fingers crossed!!

  4. #4heymccall2021-07-06 17:22

    Everyone I've had cracked was from exterior freezing, either water submerged and froze, or repeated freezing from the perfect mud pack behind.

  5. #5Metalman 552021-07-06 17:25

    I thought maybe freezing may have done it too.

  6. #6Metalman 552021-07-08 16:45

    Plywood was dry & its all back together now.

  7. #763 caveman2021-07-08 20:24

    Learn something new everyday, I had no idea there were red necks that far north