Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3204

Boots ยท 2008-03-06 06:51

We got a Cat 916 that has the Cat 3204 engine and it is rated at 86 hp turbocharged, the 926 has the 3204 and it is rated at 105, I was wondering if anyone had any information on what the differerence is? Is the pump turned up? is it a different pump? All the specs on the 2 machines seem to be the same except for the hp. Thanks

Replies19
  1. #1Squizzy246B2008-03-06 07:18

    Boots, your stretching my memory...but the pump is totally recalibrated, different injectors and I'm pretty sure the cooling system capacity was increased. I hardly touched the 3204's but unlike the different versions of the 3208, 3408 etc the changes were not too dramatic....better ask an expert cause I have something in the back of my mind about timing on the fuel pump...or was it the fuel pump cam.....delivery valves..Hmmmm:beatsme How old is the 916 and 926?. I ask cause the older 3204 had the pre-combustion (indirect injection) and you couldn't really turn them up....well too much anyway

  2. #2Boots2008-03-07 06:50

    It is a 1987 model. Seems like it is a newer generation, but I'm new to Cat machines. Australia? hope to get there someday, beautiful country. Reading this forum with posts from all over the world, it seems that heavy equipment and Cat are universal languages.

  3. #3Squizzy246B2008-03-07 07:25

    Should be a DI engine then but its best to get a Cat dealer to run the serial number to give you some data and any history.

  4. #468jbo2008-07-21 10:27

    cat 3204 engine Hi, I am thinking of buying a D3 Cat with a bad engine. It has a Cat 3204 engine. My question is are all 3204 the same meaning will they all bolt up? How hard are they to come by used? Thanks

  5. #5Countryboy2008-07-21 19:06

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums 68jbo! :drinkup

  6. #6QUANIE2008-07-21 20:00

    My experence with the 3204 is that they do not hold out well , most of the used machines with them have some kind of engine problem, . I believe cat do not make them any more. and a good running one is hard to find .

  7. #7Komatsu 1502008-07-21 20:09

    I just want to disagree a little. I think the 3204 turbo with the higher horsepower ratings have a real poor history. The natural aspirated low horsepower did real well. Our 943 went 15000 hours plus before overhaul. It used a certain amount of oil from day 1 and only increased oil used at the end. It didn't break, just needed overhaul.

  8. #8QUANIE2008-07-21 20:37

    I gess your experence was better than mine , I had Three D3s and all went down with engine problems, not for lack of service .

  9. #9Komatsu 1502008-07-22 08:16

    Actually I was worried about that engine from the time we bought the machine especially since they had a two ring piston. We had terrible service from 3208s and I was expecting problems. We did change bearings around 9000 hours when they pulled the engine to change the hydraulic pump. Other than 1 set of injectors and seals, a waterpump that was about it. There were a few other 943s in town and it seems that they did pretty well with the engine. Many 953's with the turbo and I think none of them went even five or six thousand hours.

  10. #10z6562008-11-08 03:41

    Anybody no block heater location 916 3204 engine

  11. #11Komatsu 1502008-11-08 08:12

    Replaces the core plug on the right side of the engine just below the turbocharger, according to instructions. Never done one. With the factory start assist system ours has started at 10 below although not too nice on motor. Down to 0 no problem. Block heater is much better for the engine.

  12. #12z6562008-11-11 19:28

    block heater Thanks Komastu 150 for location install went well

  13. #13Komatsu 1502008-11-12 08:39

    Your welcome. If the heater uses the same goofy hardware to hold it as the ones from Cat that we used to install on 3208s, I'd keep an eye on it for a while. Had at least two jump out of the block.

  14. #14Steve Frazier2008-11-13 15:30

    Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing the 3204 is a four cylinder version of the 3208. Is it an in line 4 or V4?

  15. #15992G2008-11-13 16:15

    It's an in line 4.

  16. #16Komatsu 1502008-11-14 08:18

    I don't know if any internal parts are actually the same but was supposed to be a 3208 "cut in half". Our 943 originally had 2 ring pistons and that's one compression ring and one oil ring! Ours and a couple others in town that I know of got good service out of the engine. They put the same engine in the 953 with a turbo and it had a terrible reputation.

  17. #17992G2008-11-14 13:16

    The 953 from what I remember was very notorious for dropping valves. If one of these engines made it over 5000 hours, you were doing good. The 3204 was kind of know as a throw away engine.

  18. #18z6562008-11-24 20:39

    Komastu 150. Been checking on block heater install seem to be holding up well 2 weeks seval big snow pushes.Steve Frasier yes inline four cylinder

  19. #19Komatsu 1502008-11-25 07:37

    Great, after all these years they probably improved the design. Cat is usually pretty good at that.