Howdy folks, about a year ago I bought a CAT 953, it has a 3204 engine in it. I'd like to install a screw in block heater, the one I think will work is a #TF151-008, but I cannot find info on where to put it, or if it will fit my machine ?? I've spent hours on the interwebs searching, and have had no luck... Any help would be appreciated..
No expert but don't think that one will work. The part PDF file does not list it for the 3204 https://www.hotstart.com/assets/Ins...-heater-instructions/TF-series-216061-044.pdf If you search cat 3204 block heater others will come up. Says to mount it https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/hscatx101 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...208-3150-3160-CAT-Engine-Heater-/170985891409
Any chance of a serial number to see if there is a Cat block heater listed? That said I did find this ZeroStart heater that says it fits a 3204: http://www.partdeal.com/specialty/c...MI05basY_B3wIVGYvICh1BmgWREAYYASABEgICT_D_BwE Note this link is just the place I found it and I have no idea of how good a place it is. It does mention in the description where it goes in the block so you would have to determine if that place is even available on your machine. If it does look like it will work I would be checking local suppliers to se if a truck or heavy equipment dealer near you carries ZeroStart items. I have used their products in the past with good results.
That one on Ebay looks like a good price! the Dieselpartsdirect one sounds way too high for a 600 watt heater to me! If you have access to the core plug at the rear right side I would go with that one from Ebay. Kats is a good company, or at least always was!
Thanks for the replies fellas, but most of the ones mentioned are only 600 watts, and require removal of a freeze plug, I was hoping to avoid that.. There are some removable screw out plugs on the right rear of the engine, that's what I was hoping to use for a 1500 watt heater.... And not loose all my coolant..
Most every heater is installed in the water jacket. Even the one you first listed was installed in the oil cooler, which is surrounded by coolant in the water jacket
Yes, and I was confused when some places say to install @ oil cooler, hell, I don't even know where the oil cooler is, or what it looks like...lol So thanks for clearing that up for me .. Should I get a few pictures ?? I have a manuel coming soon, they mis-shipped it last week..
Knowing a serial number will help identify where the oil cooler is. If its like min, its on the right side of the block up front and looks like a oval down low
Gotcha, I'll get the serail # tomorrow and add it to my sig like you've done... Thanks
I'd settle for the 600 W heater. Most block heaters are only 400 W, even for bigger six cylinder diesels. They're limited by the watt density of the element, I'd guess. Tank type "circulating" heaters are usually 1,500 W because they lose a lot of heat being away from the engine.
3204 oil cooler is in the block behind the oil filter housing.
Thanks Delmer, that's nice to know... I was just hoping to not have to drain my coolant system, so far that's not what I'm finding.. I do have an extra KATZ 1500 watt external coolant heater I thought I could just tap into a 5/8-3/4 inch line, then I looked at the machine again..... Not so easy !!
I don't think there's too many freeze plug heaters that are 1500 watts for a 4 cylinder engine. They put a new block heater in my 931B with a 3204 when it was rebuilt because the original Cat heater doesn't have replacement parts available. I think the replacement was a Phllips/Temro.
A couple thoughts here. What is the problem of draining coolant and reusing it? A clean five gallon bucket or two and maybe a short hose should do the trick. And why do you think you need a 1,500 watt heater for a little 3204? Where I worked we had several machines with 3408 engines and they did have two 1,500 watt heater but we never used both unless we were trying to get a machine started in well below freezing temps that had sat for days or weeks without running or having the heaters on. One was more than adequate to let the machines start if plugged in overnight! I'd go with the 600 watt heater and if you don't want to have it running all night just install a timer in the line feeding it and have it come on four or five hours before you need to start it. The idea, to me at least, is to have engine warm enough to start without excessive cranking. not to have the cab toasty warm the minute you turn the key. Also Marysville is not the North Slope of Alaska or even Northern NY or Minn!
I think you’d be best to go with about 1000 watt circulating heater and just tee into the heater hoses. If you go 1500 watt you’d only need it plugged in for an hour or 2 to be warm.
Thanks kshansen, It looks like the only option is gonna be to drain the system.. Idid'nt know 600 watts would be a sufficient heater, thanks for educating me here .. And no need for a toasty cab, an onboard coffee pot would be nice though.. I think I got the right # off of the side tag 05zo00877 does that sound right for a ser.# ?? I did talk to a tech guy @ cleveland bros.CAT this morning, long story short is they have a 750, 1000 and a 1500 L shaped block heater, you have to buy all parts seperately so the 1000 comes in about $150.00 ,, all are in stock... He also said to make sure the element is straight up or straight down, horizontal will cause air pockets and burn up elements,,, I would'nt have thought of that..
After the torrential downpours eased up I got to looking with a flashlight this time.. Someone installed gate valves on this machine at some point, in the 1st picture it looks like there would be room for the inline Katz circulating heater I allready have, that picture is drivers side rear.. The other picture is the only freeze plug I can find, behind those lines running to the turbo, they would have to come out ??
Serial Numbers do seem to help! I believe the number is 05Z00877 all the "0's" are zeros. SIS says: 953 TRACK LOADER Machine Serial Number - 05Z00877 (Build Date - 06/06/1985) Engine should be S/N 45V46068 Attached is the Special instructions on block heater. Note that there are several engines listed but if you pay attention the 3204 is in there! The "freeze plug", I really don't like that term but that's another story!, shown in the second picture should be the one the heater goes in. As to taking the turbo lines out I would say there looks to be enough room to pop the plug out and install the new heater.
Thanks kshansen, the CAT guy faxed me some of those instructions, but what you posted was much more clear.. 'If" we ever dry out a little I might crawl under the rear of the machine to see how much access there is to that coolant line in the 1st picture I posted..
Well the bottom radiator pipe should have a drain valve with a hose on it to make draining easy. See item #19 in the drawing below.
Thanks again ks, Are you sure you're a retired mechanic living in a stone quarry in central New York ?? You sure do have a lot of usefull and helpfull info for a man living in such conditions !! Or am I reading that wrong ?? Lol
Well I stopped showing up for work at the quarry back in April of 2015 and they started sending me my pension checks a few weeks later. If that's not being retired I'm not sure what it is! Then again a few weeks back I got a phone call from the guy in the shop wanting to know where the tool box with the pusher bolts to remove the pins in the boom of the 980G was! And if you call the shop phone number the voice on the answering machine is still mine! I mentioned that to the plant boss earlier this year and he said, "That's nothing if you call the Black Top office number the voice that answers that is for John who retired a few years before me and has since passed away, but he's still answering the phone!"
That's an awesome story.. Either way, I really appreciate all the help you lend to not only me, but many who come here seeking help/advice.... Some take it well, some don't wanna listen at all, I'm not "that guy"... I read most all the threads, but don't have much to add compared to some of you seasoned veterans... All of you guys are greatly appreciated by me !!
Hey, I just hang around here so I can get other people's hands dirty and spend their money!
Update: Ended up installing the KATZ 1500 watt coolant heater, took all of about 15 minutes with an axtra pair of hands.. Ran the machine about 20 minutes back around the house, checked the new heater and it was quite warm, so I'm pretty sure we got flow and any air out of it.. I think we should be good to go, unless someone says "hey dummy, that ain't gonna work"....lol Appreciate all of your help and suggestions..
Update #2, Tried to start machine yesterday to move it.. It cranked real slow and did'nt wanna fire, temps were up to about mid 40's F, .. Pluged in the heater for the 1st time since install, left it go for 1 hour, machine fired almost instantly when I hit the starter.. Success !!
Glad to hear it worked and made engine fire right up. One note it is a good idea to unplug an electric heater before trying to start an engine. What can happen is where engine starts and the coolant is flowing by the heating element there can be some air bubbles in the coolant. The element might over heat as it is designed to be completely covered with water while power is on it.
Thank you Mr. Hansen, Will put that in mental notes for the future..