Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320B 2302 code

Catariel · 2020-03-05 08:45

I’ve been working on my buddies excavator fixing it up while I use it around the house. I’ve been fighting with the throttle switch not working and the monitor. I got the monitor working, went through active codes, replaced switches, and the engine speed sensor. Once I replaced the speed sensor I was able to go through a calibration cycle once, however the switch never worked and it always says 00 on the monitor. If I try to run through a cycle now it hangs up on 7 then the monitor will abort and monitor reads 70 HD 00 which is “retry error too much hysteresis”. So currently there are 2 active codes: 2302-governor actuator feedback signal is biased 420E-engine speed knob is not in one of 10 specified positions. I called cat tech services department for help on the 2302 code because I have no clue what a “biased” signal is. They couldn’t tell me what it meant. I was curious if anyone had any ideas on these codes or some insights.

Replies17
  1. #1heymccall2020-03-05 18:33

    Perchance, does this machine have the auxiliary hydraulics from Cat? The one with the digital display near the air filter?

  2. #2Catariel2020-03-06 08:27

    No sir,

  3. #3Catariel2020-03-16 21:59

    Also something else to add... seems like stick in is very slow or weak.?Compared to the 320c. Would a prv calibration help this?

  4. #4anuradha2020-03-25 12:36

    Hi.did you fix the problem or do you still need the help ?

  5. #5Catariel2020-03-28 16:00

    I have not fixed the problem, still looking for some advise.

  6. #6kurtihidro2020-03-29 15:23

    2302 governor actuator feedback signal deviation

  7. #7Nige2020-03-29 16:05

    I can post up a few things for you, but what you REALLY need is this manual - Cat Publication RENR1998. Unfortunately it is not available for electronic download from Cat Publications but I found a used copy for $40 on eBay. It's the last available copy so you need to be quick. I think I would try to negotiate with the seller on S&H charges though, $32.95 seems a bit spendy........ https://www.ebay.com/itm/CATERPILLA...-OP-TEST-ADJUST-MANUAL-RENR1998-/331855336241 I would also suggest that you will require an Electrical Schematic for your machine if you do not already have one. You'll need it to identify the various different harness connectors mentioned in the Troubleshooting Procedure. Post a Serial Number and I can send you one via PM.

  8. #8Nige2020-03-29 23:50

    BTW the quality of the troubleshooting flow charts will be far better in the paper version of the manual than it is in the scanned electronic version used to create the pdf file.

  9. #9anuradha2020-03-30 08:47

    Hi Catariel, please refer the image attached to correct the governor calibration issue. i assume that your machine's backup switch is in auto position. To check the governor feedback sensor according to error code 2302 , first turn off the key switch and disconnect the governor connector near the governor motor and check following voltage readings after key switch turned on.(engine remains stopped still)between pin 3 and 2(numbered inside the shocket) of female shocket voltage should be between (4.5v - 5.5v ) if the reading is 4.5v or less, orelse 5.5v or higher than that, then there might be a problem in wiring if not that then the problem wll be the controller. if the voltage reading is ok(that means between 4.5v-5.5v) then turn start switch off and connect the governor connector. now dissconnect the two controller connectors from the controller. now find the number 9 hole from tow female connectors.and now look at the wire attached to it from behind the female connector and now select the hole that attached with purple colour wire with the word printed on it as (A761-PU). now select the number 2 hole from the other female connector and it is attached with a black wire(it is the ground wire for the controller),to check the ground connection check the continuity between this hole and body ground.continuity should exists. now turn the key switch on and measure the voltage between above selected two female connector holes.(that means between selected no.9 and no.2 as i above mentioned) voltage should be 0.6v - 11.4v. now if the voltage reading is ok then the controller is faulty. if the voltage reading is incorrect then the governor actuator is faulty. To check the engine speed dial, turn disconnect switch off and start switch off and disconnect the speed dial connector near the speed dial. now perform the continuity test as described in the table which i attached in the image. you have to check the continuity between the pins of male side of the connector while rotating the speeed dial as described in the table. if the readings are wrong then speed dial is faulty. if the readings are correct then the problem will be the wiring orelse the controller. if you have any thing to ask regarding this please inform me. Thank you.

  10. #10anuradha2020-03-30 08:59

    Hi Catariel, I think you can follow the Nige sir's document to troubleshoot the feedback sensor issue in detail.which i explained briefly.

  11. #11Catariel2020-03-30 18:05

    Thank you guys for the responses. Looks like some great information. I will order that manual ASAP. I am currently working out of state until the end of the week. I forgot to mention that did replace the throttle selector switch. When I get back I will give an update Thanks! Nige, the serial #6cr00741

  12. #12Nige2020-03-30 18:29

    I think that manual will prove to be invaluable to you. they are like the proverbial hen's teeth to find these days. Why they are not available as an electronic download I have no idea.

  13. #13Catariel2020-04-18 13:31

    So I finally got back home to mess with the 320. While I was gone my buddy ended up buying a new governor actuator. So I installed it and tried to run a cal cycle. Still is stopping on 07. I checked volts between 1&3 on governor connector... found 20volts. Much more than 4.5v.

  14. #14Nige2020-04-18 13:34

    Did you eventually get the RENR1998 manual..?

  15. #15Catariel2020-04-18 14:11

    Nige, I did not get the manual. I was able to find it online. I did misread aunradh instructions. I check volts on 1&2 and got 4.7v. My question is for him. I’m confused on what two connectors From the ”controller” he is talking about. To check continuity.

  16. #16anuradha2020-04-19 07:21

    Hi Catariel, First for your governor calibration issue try the instructions that i have posted as a image in my previous answer.to help with that i will attach a picture of monitor pannel with relavant numbers that have been mentioned there. And for the voltage reading you have mentioned above it should be between 2 & 3 . If you meassure as you mentioned above between 1 & 2 it should be 18 - 24 v. Because 1 means battery suppy and 2 means ground connection.so double check it again. And controller connectors means main connectors of the pump controller and i will attach a picture of it but it is from our 312B but i think it will be same for the 320B as well.and it is located under the operator's seat towards the right side.see the image attached for it.and you can access those connectors behind the seat. Before that i think you should try calibration instructions first. And secondly if it doesn't work then you should go for voltage checks.for that if my instructions are not clear you follow the nige sir's troubleshooting flow charts that attached above.that is the best way for it. And after checking these things inform us about the results.

  17. #17CatKC2020-04-20 09:43

    Thanks Nige for posting the manual number, I bought one for my 312B. I don't need it now but I like to be prepared.